WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Discussion - NEW
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
Sudaj
Initiate

Sudaj is unknown at this point
Attack of the authors!

I wouldn't thought I could find this in WCM, but actually there's an author, Serennia, who has made a personnal ennemy to Nador, the author who made "One man VS Onyxia". Nador was the first who publish his movie, and 1 week later, Tadaa! Serennia made something quite similar, "Solo Onyxia". Basicaly, in this last movie, he downrate Nador's work and insult him. Even though his title suggested he 1-manned onyxia, he managed to get some help with a friend (duh). I really don't know why he made this, but I just found that pretty low-sport and childish from him, and I would like to share my complete thoughts of this, since there's not enought space in the movie comments. Before writing it, I would apology for any grammar mistakes i make, because I'm a real moron in English . So there it is:

Alright, I'll surely repeat some people's comments (from the "One Onyxia" movie), but it may be at least a sum up of what it has been said. And I'll bring my point of view from this "solo" kill.
Some users have claim this video clip as "stealing", obviously from the Nador video, wich was also an attempt of soloing Onyxia. On this aspect though, I don't find this as he had stole Nador's (or Ted) idea. Otherwise, we would have also called Ted a thief, since he has done this video based on other Onyxia's attempts movies.
However, I've felt that this movie has been made only to downrate the work of someone else and brag how awesome this kill was, rather than trying to do something better. Commentaries like "Fortunatly, most feral are idiots..." is not a welcome message to anyone (from the feral druids at least).

Serennia, you wrote the following in your video: "Recently, a feral druid attempted this feat (of soloing Onyxia) and failed, proclaiming certain FR stipulations, gear limitations and strategy requirements.". That may be true, for a RESTO druid, but have you tried the same strategy as a FERAL druid? You may be surprised by the differences. Since a feral druid can't heal as much as a resto would, things can be complicated. Let's not forget also that he wanted it that way so he could kill the wardens that is pathing before doing Onyxia. I don't think I've seen you killing the warder by yourself before facing Onyxia.
By saying that, some of you may answer: "It's a Solo Onyxia, not Solo Onyxia Lair". I may agree with you at some point, unfortunatly, if a path will be forced to enter in combat in a boss fight, too bad but the dungeon was designed that way so you need to kill it first. Therefore, it's kind of a pre-requirement before facing Onyxia. If you really don't want that warder path interfere when fighting the boss (im not talking about the "bugged" one), you need to kill it (and therefore doing it alone if you want a solo attempt!).

A lot of people are debatting weither it's a solo or not, with the help of the hunter for that "bugged" warden. Let's forget about the warden for a moment. Like stated in the summary movie of Nador, even if the second player doesn't attack in any way the boss, the boss will consider this player as part of the fight, and will attack him too. So, instead of receiving full damage from the boss and his minions, the damage will be split, thus making the fight easier for Serennia, even if it's only for a brief moment in a 2 hours fight. On that moment, if you were alone (with no warder), you may have took a mana pot, or even worse, you could have been VERY unlucky (who knows?) and die! Not only that, but at the very beginning of the encounter, while your partner is making suicide, you take this moment to place yourself at the tanking spot without ANY damage or inconvenience, otherwise if you were alone, it would have land on you 4-6 hits, depending wich attacks he uses. The two situations I have wrote may not doing a big difference, but I don't count it as a solo kill. Mathematically, this would have been approximately a 1.001 manned VS Onyxia, so unfortunatly its not a 1 man show! (BOOH!)
So about the bugged warder, if it was an isolated bug wich would have only occured in rare occasion, I would understand (in that case, it wouldn't even matter anyway, since you could retry the boss and simply wish it won't come again). However, this bug is there every single time you do this boss after a certain amount of time (spawntime), so the same rules applies to everyone who are attempting it. Sorry, but in my opinion, having someone to get rid of this "bugged" warder is counted as a 2-manned Onyxia.

At last, yes the fight you gave on Onyxia was good, Serennia. Unfortunatly, most would agree that you made false publicity and you made personal attack to someone else's work. This is something that lower your movie rate pretty much...
Sudaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Hacky
Hall of Fame member

Hacky is unknown at this point
/taps u on shoulder.

I guess no one told u, no one reads this forum, let alone the movie maker you addressed your post to Like 3 people (literally) read this forum and even they only check it once per 6 months or something hehe.

Regarding your post and those movies though. I personally think WCM themselves failed us here, and not just the movie makers. There is a moderation process for movies, it has to be 'approved'. Why are they approving movies which claim to:

1 - solo/kill a boss when no boss actually dies! ie the movie itself is 'fake/lie'. They should have contacted them and told them to change the title/claim/description, or whatever, before the movie could be approved.

2 - solo a boss (when they didn't solo it)

3 - [this one isn't necessarily WCM's fault though ofc] make claims on dates and such like in the movies, which are not true.

Regarding the movie makers themselves though, as has been pointed out, solo means solo, it means 1 person, no help from someone else or it's not a solo. And to solo ie kill a boss, means, it dies! lol d'oh! HOW surreal are these movie's claims when it isn't solo'ed and it isn't dead, 'THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES' K!

llamacar's movie is the only legit one which does not have a fault title. In my opinion the other movies should have not been approved until their titles/descriptions were edited. Because to approve them really drags the WCM site down into the mess we see on the WoW forums themselves, of idiots flaming and trolling each other and you can't see the wood for the trees, so to speak.

Last edited by Hacky : 05-30-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Hacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Hold on a second...I counted between four and five regular visitors in this forum..Me included, and that means, from next week on there will be one less, cause i'll be offline for a few month.
Nevertheless, I think Serennia got the message anyway - if he/she cares to read the comments on the movie.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Hacky
Hall of Fame member

Hacky is unknown at this point
ah sorry, I stand corrected, 4 people then, not 3
hehe

The usual pattern on this forum is someone needs help with something, so they make an account, and post their question, 99% of the time never checking if the question has already been asked/answered before. So, they have never read the forum, they never will read it again either, other than to check their own thread in case of a reply, and they only made the account to post their one question or whine (as above) comment. And 99% of the time, ofc, coz no one reads it, the question is not answered hehe. Well, us nutters do, coz we actually read the damn thing, for some reason lol :-P

Last edited by Hacky : 05-30-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Hacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Sudaj
Initiate

Sudaj is unknown at this point
I've read quite a few pages in the forum, actually to see on wich section should I have wrote this long (boring?) post. But yea, it turned out it was quite ineffective and useless to write that down, if no one cares to read.

I thought with thousands and thousands of people visiting the site per day, there would have been more users in the forum than that. I guess I've learned now to not waste my time like this anymore. Meh!

Just one thing though, about the titles of those movies; the Nador's one, wich is "One man VS Onyxia", doesn't lie about his movie. The title doesn't involve a kill on Onyxia, but one player who is standing against Onyxia. Other than that, I agree with your point of view, Hacky.

[nerdymode]Is that a photo of you, Hacky?[/nerdymode]

Last edited by Sudaj : 05-31-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Sudaj is offline   Reply With Quote