WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
xanathon
Initiate

xanathon is an unknown quantity at this point
Movie not approved due to errors?

For the second time, my movie was not approved, both times the message was (obviously a standardized PM):
Quote:
The movie you submitted was not approved because:

The movie that you uploaded to our website contained errors. Please resubmit and upload it again it on our main site.

Best Regards
gedan, Moderator
WarcraftMovies.com
I asked both times to be a little more specific on what that errors could be, as the movie uploaded to other sites just fine. I never got any answer.

I have to confess that I am quite fed up with this. The ETAs for approvement are hilariously wrong and not even a "rough estimate" and the help from the mods with something they call "errors" is nonexistent.

I still hope for useful and helpful comments, but I don't think I will get any.

If I get no answer: There are more than enough other sites to upload WOW machinima movies to...

regards,
Xanathon
xanathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Terwilliger

Terwilliger is unknown at this point
Did you put the movie in a ZIP folder or any other type of compression file?

What format was the movie?

Did the upload finish successfully?

It takes years to build trust, and just seconds to destroy it.
Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
xanathon
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwilliger View Post
Did you put the movie in a ZIP folder or any other type of compression file?
No.

Quote:
What format was the movie?
MPEG2 container, 25 frames/sec progressive, reasonable video bitrate, 128kbit mp3 audio.

Edit: Even more detailed
Video: MPEG2 Video 360x240 (4:3) 25.00fps 6000Kbps progressive
Audio: MPEG Audio 44100Hz stereo 128Kbps

Quote:
Did the upload finish successfully?
Yes, both times.

An alternative stream location on Youtube was given, so I really do not understand why not even that was published.

Last edited by xanathon : 11-13-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
kiahann

kiahann is notable
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanathon View Post
For the second time, my movie was not approved, both times the message was (obviously a standardized PM):

I asked both times to be a little more specific on what that errors could be, as the movie uploaded to other sites just fine. I never got any answer.

I have to confess that I am quite fed up with this. The ETAs for approvement are hilariously wrong and not even a "rough estimate" and the help from the mods with something they call "errors" is nonexistent.

I still hope for useful and helpful comments, but I don't think I will get any.

If I get no answer: There are more than enough other sites to upload WOW machinima movies to...

regards,
Xanathon

Hey

Sorry you had to go through this.

The errors mean the movie moderators who watch the movies can't view them if they can't view them then we can't have it go through therefor that error report is sent out.

But usually when they resubmit it then it goes through.

Your youtube link wasn't published because when we view the movies we don't view it from any stream we view it straight to download, and if your movie wasn't published then your youtube link wasn't published either.

What browser are you using when you submit it?

Last edited by kiahann : 11-13-2007 at 02:00 PM.
kiahann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
xanathon
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahann View Post
Hey

Sorry you had to go through this.

The errors mean the movie moderators who watch the movies can't view them if they can't view them then we can't have it go through therefor that error report is sent out.

But usually when they resubmit it then it goes through.

What browser are you using when you submit it?
Firefox 2.0.0.9 Windows. I have uploaded this exact movie to various locations online, all via browser. All but warcraftmovies.com worked fine at the first try.

I am well aware of problems that can arise in upload situations since I work in admin and techsupport, so usually I sympathize. But what I dislike heavily is no response to a submitted problem. I only got a response when I posted it here. So I hope you understand my frustration.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
kiahann

kiahann is notable
I'm sorry I understand. Gedan (The one who did your movie) is the head mod and admin so he gets really busy and doesn't get to answer a lot.

The only thing I could say is try re uploading it again, and post your movie ID (So I can see if it goes through)

But if you would like to wait for Uzbeki(admin) or Gedan(admin) to reply then you can. In time They will answer you here

I hope everything works out for you.

Last edited by kiahann : 11-13-2007 at 02:43 PM.
kiahann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
xanathon
Initiate

Just got a reply in PM from gedan:

Quote:
We try to keep the site somewhat fresh and as of late the amount of movie trailers has been raining in, we are however working on a way to release trailer movies on a sepperate part on the site so they don't push out other movies.

----------------------------
Gedan, Lead Moderator
WarcraftMovies.com
So, now it was no errors at all, but the movie content.

Great. He could have said that you do not want that movie in the first place. A rejection would have been understandable and I would not have wasted time in trying to upload again due to some mysterious "errors" (not to mention to wait for a release). So I have to get the impression that the reply stating "errors" was just to get rid of me. You have to work on your communication.

I sincerely fail to see why a trailer is less interesting or creative than other content.

Edit: Thanks for your responses, but I think I will not reupload. Furthermore I will remove the WCM-trailer from the Youtube-version. If Warcraftmovies does not want that movie I see no reason to do commercials for the site.

Last edited by xanathon : 11-13-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
yoshi245

yoshi245 is unknown at this point
I obviously don't speak for the mods/admins, but as a viewer myself, I find trailers practically worthless, very few are worth a damn, and most are nothing more than temporary placeholders for movies people don't even want to watch.

Why release a trailer of a movie when in a certain amount of time into the future the movie itself will already be out? There's no real need of anticipation seeing as how the viewers won't be too concerned with it. The only time a trailer can be useful to upload is if it's with a well established series/author putting one up.

IE: Fury, Illegal Danish stuff
yoshi245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
xanathon
Initiate

Judging something without seeing it first? Not very smart.

BTW, it wasn't really a trailer to an upcoming movie but an hommage to the Matrix trailers. That was written in the description.

I cannot see myself where the creativity is found in the umphteenth showoff of some overconfident pvp-kids with no editing skills at all... but that is - of course - personal preference.

What is really embarrassing though still is that they wrote "errors" instead of "rejected". What is wrong with the truth?

Last edited by xanathon : 11-13-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #10
Gedan

Gedan is unknown at this point
There could have been errors in the first uploads Xanathon but I'm really sorry that you had to go through the whole process again just to get rejected with a content mail.

As I said to you in the private PM we are working on some features to get a trailer section but until then we need to be strict on them not to get flodded.