WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Suggestions
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
soosisti

soosisti is unknown at this point
A couple of small suggestions

So I came up with a couple of little suggestions, here we go:

Machinima teams
As the arena/PvP people have the possibility to add multiple authors to a team, could the machinima people have one too?

For example I have and will be doing more or less collaboration projects with other machinimakers, so it would be really cool to have everyone get credit/fame.

Comment rating
YouTube and WoW Insider among other sites have this function on their commentable sections. It means that a comment could be up/downvoted.

I think this would work against the annoying trolling in addition to the comment reporting function.

The comments with good votes would gain visibility (the text and comment being highlighted somehow) and the bad votes would turn gray and if a lot of bad votes come, they could come hidden (just like in YouTube - the comment would not be deleted, but the viewer of the site would have to click on it to see the bad comment).

"WTF? plz stop and get a life !"
-Comment on Unlimited Escapism vol. 2 by Xah

Blog @ http://www.baronsoosdon.com
(Latest ramblings and information about my upcoming movies.)

IRC - #machinima @ Quakenet
Newbies and pros are welcome!
soosisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Two very good suggestions. Thanks

Machinima teams is something we have discussed before and I its def doable but it will require some redsigning of the systems if both are to gain WCM fame etc.

Comment rating, is see this as an even higher priority and something that will come after we have released some of the cool stuff we are working on right now
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
voodooray
Hall of Fame member

voodooray is unknown at this point
My thoughts:

Machinima Teams...sounds cool, but would the fame be shared out or multiplied?
Would there be an definition between a someone who did almost everything and someone who did a minor element?

Comment rating...well I dont know about this one. The pros are obvious but the cons, or rather the main con is that its a type of censorship. Completely pointless trolling can be reported and removed. But what if someone has a valid but unpopular comment. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and it should as valid as anyone elses (Unless they are completely idiotic but then there is a report feature) . Sometimes its the comments that go against the general flow that can be the most interesting and have the most relevance.

When i browse a very good movie's comments i look for the 2.5s and 3.5s etc to see if they have a valid comment.

Also it could be counter productive as trolls downrates/commets would be hidden and therefore not reported and removed as they should be.
voodooray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
voodooray
Hall of Fame member

Edit: Also Fanboys can be as idiotic as trolls and this could lead to major abuse of a comment rating system.

For example if Totp3 had this rating option it would be 100 pages of 'omg its amazing'. Lots of trolls made stupid comments but many people had very valid comments the fanboys would bury in no time. This would mean reading through the comments would be a fairly pointless excersise as it would be pretty much just 1 opinion voiced. Destroying the purpose of having comments in the first place. Thats the nightmare senario though.

Youtube using comment rating to a sweeping self regulatory function. They dont have the people to check all comments. If this is the case for wcm then fair enough but i see it as not a preference/advantage but rather a nessasity of larger comment traffic sites.

Last edited by voodooray : 01-09-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 01-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooray View Post
My thoughts:

Machinima Teams...sounds cool, but would the fame be shared out or multiplied?
Would there be an definition between a someone who did almost everything and someone who did a minor element?
Yes, these are tough questions and the main reason why we have not done this already. Got any ideas Baron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooray View Post
Comment rating...well I dont know about this one. The pros are obvious but the cons, or rather the main con is that its a type of censorship. Completely pointless trolling can be reported and removed. But what if someone has a valid but unpopular comment. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and it should as valid as anyone elses (Unless they are completely idiotic but then there is a report feature) . Sometimes its the comments that go against the general flow that can be the most interesting and have the most relevance.

When i browse a very good movie's comments i look for the 2.5s and 3.5s etc to see if they have a valid comment.

Also it could be counter productive as trolls downrates/commets would be hidden and therefore not reported and removed as they should be.
I think this can be adjusted with setting the limit for "bad" comments lower. The idea is to remove bad comments more quickly than the moderators can. But then again we could auto hide the comments that gets X reports; until an moderator has the change to take a look at the reports.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
soosisti

soosisti is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzbeki View Post
Yes, these are tough questions and the main reason why we have not done this already. Got any ideas Baron?
Hmm.. maybe the main director (or producer/leader/whatever) of a machinima project could invite or add WCM members to the "credit list" from a dropdown menu.

To avoid fake invites, all the invited members would have to accept the invitation.

The people on the credit list could be viewed on the movie page, for example like:

person A - directing
person B - editing, scene 1
person C - voice acting and editing, scene 2
person D - storyboarding

Fellow machinimakers, share your ideas and thouhgts as well

"WTF? plz stop and get a life !"
-Comment on Unlimited Escapism vol. 2 by Xah

Blog @ http://www.baronsoosdon.com
(Latest ramblings and information about my upcoming movies.)

IRC - #machinima @ Quakenet
Newbies and pros are welcome!
soosisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
voodooray
Hall of Fame member

More thoughts...

I suppose it could work as 'Name of author' - 'Reason' - '% of work' (all entered at submit stage with % possibley hidden from public view)

Perhaps instead of using a % of work to credit fame the main author could use the star rating system currently used for public rating.

This could then be turned into a % OR if you want to get really fancy then fame is credited as a % of each rated section. For example if I did the master render for someones movie. That author would put me down for 2 stars (lets say) on AV Quality.
I would then get 40% of the fame credited for people rating AV quality only.

As for whether it should be multiplicative. I think it should be to a certain extent. Collaboration can only enhance the quality of movies. Something we all want. perhaps the total fame should be increase by 10% for each extra person involved in a project. This is then devided as normal in the way i mentioned above.