WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Suggestions
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
K21Nova
Initiate

K21Nova is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep it machinima.

The "Athene"-videos aren't machinima, and barely have anything to do with this site. The only connection I can think of is him claiming he plays WoW. Whether you like his boring rants personally or not, you can't claim they're exactly what this site is about. Sure, some of his videos actually manage to have a joke in them, but still, this isn't YouTube. This isn't a site where you post videos of yourself speaking while your friend films you with a 20 euro crap camera.

I suggest you remove the Athene videos, or at the very least stop featuring them on the main page, seeing as how he doesn't even include a WCM promo in them.

Again... Don't let this site become Athene's own personal YouTube.
K21Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
Can you please link me to some of the ones you are referring to? I would like to see what you mean. As always we do value everyone's opinion because you all are the ones that make us what we are as a website, and thanks in advance for posting your suggestions.
Valamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
Btcc22
Hall of Fame member

Btcc22 is unknown at this point
http://warcraftmovies.com/viewauthor.php?id=15289

Can't really see the problem with them. The only thing I have a problem with is his attempts to gain more views by shoving crap in the middle of the movies.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
Valamir

I will take a look at these tonight and possibly discuss their existence with WCM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Valamir

I watched his videos, most of them are very abusive and violate our general rule about cussing on the website. He flames the general community of WoW and offends them on most of the videos. It will be my intention to have them removed, but I am not allowed to make that kind of decision without permission from an Admin unless it is in dire need. An Admin has been informed.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Gedan

Gedan is unknown at this point
We will hold down the feature spotlight for now on Athenes movies. He walks the razors edge with his sometime questionable content but this is an act and the movie uploaded on our page are focused on WOW. Our aim is to have as much WoW Machinima as possible but if it's something regarding the game we will try and host it.

However, if Athene and his crew goes too far we will ofcourse remove or not host that movie, I'm quite sure youtube (who still host it) will be the "shrieking bird" if that happens.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
Valamir

Whether it's an act or not I still feel that the excessive language used in his videos is unsuitable for a family oriented website. What would a family think of WCM if they came across those videos and all they heard were the non-stop cussing and the racial slurs contained in them? It is also posted on each movie profile that cussing isn't allowed. By allowing those videos to be on the website you condone cussing, setting an example is what we want to do.

If I was one of those families that per chance came across this website I would be ready to make sure this website was blocked. I'm just trying to point this out because I was highly offended by those videos and I don't particularly care for his "act" containing racial slurs and cuss words.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #8
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
I allready mentioned this in a comment on one of the Athene movies-but I am always willing to repeat myself and this looks like a place to do so:

Gedan says:"...Our aim is to have as much WoW machinima as possibly..." and thats exactly it.Athenes movies are not machinima, period.They may fit to youtube but they don't fit in here.
I also see the danger, that other non machinima "movie makers" feel invited to put movies of that kind on WcM - and this in the long range might leed to some serious problems.Better lock this door before it's to late, in my humble opinion.

Regards

Dwârv
Old 04-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
K21Nova
Initiate

K21Nova is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to add that I've been a fan of the series Pure Pwnage since they started, and thus I most certainly appreciate a good "gamer spoof" series.

However, as mentioned earlier, Athene's videos are rather vulgar, and somehow they lack almost entirely that which makes PP such a success. Still, even PP isn't machinima, and wouldn't exactly be what a machinima site would be looking for.

I was using Pure Pwnage as an example here mostly because I feel what Athene is doing is sort of similar, but in a kind of a "F you nub" way. (If you don't know what Pure Pwnage is, you should check out http://www.purepwnage.com/ or check it out in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_pwnage).

I would like to say that I don't want this thread to become a witch hunt against Athene personally. I just wanted to start this discussion since... Well, since I felt it was a good idea to have a say about the matter, I guess.

Anyways, that's my 2 full cents, and now I'll let the wiser and more experienced people talk.
K21Nova is offline   Reply With Quote