WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Suggestions
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
P33T
Initiate

P33T is unknown at this point
WarcraftMovieTrailers.com

Hi, let me first say that i like this site and its function, i check it daily.
I enjoy lots of videos, and i find those that i download usually worth watching.
But there are lots of "bad" videos on the site as well. Some that contain nothing new, no trace of skill, internal jokes that other people wouldn't benefit from, bugs which should be reported to GMs instead of posted here, and videos with editing that could cause epeleptic seizures.

As if this wasn't enough, we're now seeing a huge amount of trailers, previews, teasers and intros making their way to the list of new and "hot" videos. Why post something unfinished, something that one often doesn't want to be rated since "its not finished yet so dno't raet me down nubz, kk"?

If it isn't finished and the makers don't want people to rate it, then why post it? Why even bother spending time on making a trailer/preview/teaser/intro instead of working on the final project? It's a waste of time i think - and people can freely chose what they spend their time on - but it's also becoming a waste of space, in my opinion.

Edit: I suppose some examples would clarify things:
A warrior that is fooling around:
http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=34048
A warrior that is returning to his old server and made a video (trailer) of it:
http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=34244
A rogue who messed up and didn't know what he was posting, but some sort of trailer:
http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=34103
A priest that shows a few seconds of some random fights:
http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=34035
A hunter who was just testing out something and doesn't want his video/trailer (which was posted twice) to be rated
http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=33937 + http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=33936

These examples were all found by looking at the class videos, and they were all within the 15 newest videos.
I hope you get my point - download one of them if you don't.

What do you think?

Last edited by P33T : 01-05-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: The post lacked examples
P33T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
kiahann

kiahann is notable
Trailers, teasers, previews ect.. those are usually posted to get the media aka the people excited about a perticulur movie mostly good for fans of the author.

When you look on real Tv you see trailers of Movies all the time..Trailers are made to get the people excited and to get a fan base of the movie before the full version is released to get a better and bigger audience..

You say there is nothing new? Well unlike movies in real life there is only SO much you can do with movies Story-line movies are another thing. But class pvp movies are the same..Skill you say? there is only SO much you can do with skill you can play your class to your full advantage but there is only so much you can do with skill.... your not Invincible

Intro's and trailers are on the hot list probaly because alot of people enjoy watching them..

A lot of reason why a lot of people make trailors is because well there excited some of the GREAT movies on this site took forever to make months and months.. and with all that work they want to show there work because THEY are excited about there movie and want to show a *Teaser* of there movie to get people interested in the movie it does make a diffrence..
Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
Moved, this more of a suggestion than something wrong.
Valamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
P33T
Initiate

P33T is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahann View Post
Trailers, teasers, previews ect.. those are usually posted to get the media aka the people excited about a perticulur movie mostly good for fans of the author.

When you look on real Tv you see trailers of Movies all the time..Trailers are made to get the people excited and to get a fan base of the movie before the full version is released to get a better and bigger audience..

You say there is nothing new? Well unlike movies in real life there is only SO much you can do with movies Story-line movies are another thing. But class pvp movies are the same..Skill you say? there is only SO much you can do with skill you can play your class to your full advantage but there is only so much you can do with skill.... your not Invincible

Intro's and trailers are on the hot list probaly because alot of people enjoy watching them..

A lot of reason why a lot of people make trailors is because well there excited some of the GREAT movies on this site took forever to make months and months.. and with all that work they want to show there work because THEY are excited about there movie and want to show a *Teaser* of there movie to get people interested in the movie it does make a diffrence..
I see your point. But it's not like WoW movies take a year and a half before they are released, like "real life movies".

And if it is a matter of creating a fan base before a video's release, then where does the border between "teasers" and commercials go? I believe most visitors of the movie site know what they are looking for - such as checking out for new druid pvp videos, for example. And if they aren't looking for something in particular, then the front page with the 4 newest releases should be able to bring the casual visitor up to date. Now, do you think that a teaser of 2-3 minutes or less, should take up a spot for the full release videos that the maker has been looking forward to seeing on the front page? "Yes!! my 35 minute video is on the front page! Oh wait, it just got pushed out by a 45 second teaser of a gnome warlock killing a troll warrior, followed by a Coming soon...."
I'm not saying that certain videos should be favorized above others because of their content, but teasers are just getting too frequent, and are often quite pointless. And it's not like people will create fan clubs and forum topics about the movies that they are looking forward to, i have yet to see that happen.

I understand what you think of teasers, but i think you should take a closer look at the teasers/previews/etc that i linked. The public opinion on them does not seem positive at all.

Nor am i saying that ALL movies should contain something new AND a display of skill - but at least one of them. The teasers/previews usually show neither, they are just pointless, short videoes that the maker released for no good reason (take http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=33937 as an example).

Peet
P33T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Gedan

Gedan is unknown at this point
You got some valid points there Peet, we've been talking about this also and it's not "fair" to be pushed down by a trailer that takes so little time to make. We'll talk this over and see if we can come up with a better solution. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy trailers and if it is hard work behind them they deserve the same attention as any other movie on the page, the viewers choice.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
I was a bit sceptic at first but after seeing the ratings on those movies you posted you got me convinced we have a problem. We will inform the moderators to be a lot more critical when it comes to Trailers. Some trailers are great and deserve to be in the spotlight but from what we have seen here there are too many bad ones being released.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
DwhyM
Initiate

DwhyM is an unknown quantity at this point
There should be separate category Trailers in wich authors would submit their work and there would be no problems with it. Also I think
Quote:
We will inform the moderators to be a lot more critical when it comes to Trailers.
it should solve the problem.
In my opinion trailers are very important for serious movie makers because they promote their movie in wich they put much effort. Also many people wont download/become interested in large movie if they cant see preview. In addition trailer is also last chance to make changes in the movie get opinion of publicity before final relase.
DwhyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
Rothicol
Hall of Fame member

Rothicol is unknown at this point
But, then again. People can make a GOOD trailer, and then the release appears to be BAD.