WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Dezzy
Initiate

Dezzy is unknown at this point
Fame + ratings

I recently upgraded to premium and have been downloading alot of movies since then. In the FAQ it says that your fame rating is increased by watching movies, i must have watched 10-15 gigs worth in the last week alone and yet my fame rating hasnt increased at all? I would really like to start leaving feedback to authors but obviously rely on my fame being 3 or more.

Was really just seeing if this was a bug or whether its worked out in some other way.

Cheers,

Dezzy
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
kiahann

kiahann is notable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I recently upgraded to premium and have been downloading alot of movies since then. In the FAQ it says that your fame rating is increased by watching movies, i must have watched 10-15 gigs worth in the last week alone and yet my fame rating hasnt increased at all? I would really like to start leaving feedback to authors but obviously rely on my fame being 3 or more.

Was really just seeing if this was a bug or whether its worked out in some other way.

Cheers,

Dezzy
It takes watching alot of movies to get your fame up. It's not a bug and it is working as intended
Old 02-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
brlefler
Initiate

brlefler is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahann View Post
It takes watching alot of movies to get your fame up. It's not a bug and it is working as intended
I personally would have thought that paying money would be enough to rate or leave comments, but I guess I'm wrong.
brlefler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Dezzy
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlefler View Post
I personally would have thought that paying money would be enough to rate or leave comments, but I guess I'm wrong.

Thats a good point but not something i'm really bothered about arguing over, however it would be good to know how many movies it actually takes, i've watched close to 30gigs worth now and for someone without a fast net connection that must take months to achieve. Some of the movies i've watched have been amazingly good but at the moment it kinda just feels like i'm subscribing to some kind of "fileshack" website where you just download stuff really fast, rather than the community that WCM has obviously tried to setup with the comments and ratings.

Is there any more info on how long it actually takes to get 1 fame point? The "it just takes watching alot of movies" doesnt really help.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Dezzy
Initiate

Ok after checking some stuff out on the website i'm even more confused,

This is an example of someones profile i checked out today after seeing his fame rating being 11.

Logins: 54
Downloads: 136
Ratings: 26
Comments: 4
Guestbook Posts: 0
Warnings: 0 WCM Fame: 11
Rating Weight: 2
Movies: 0
Last Login: 2007-02-19
Member for: 13 days

Now this is mine;

Logins: 6
Downloads: 120
Ratings: 0
Comments: 0
Warnings: 0 WCM Fame: 0
Rating Weight: 13
Movies: 0
Last Login: 2007-02-19
Member for: 623 days

Those numbers dont add up to me 16 downloads different, and i havent even got 2 fame, whilst he's got 11? I'm almost sure this has got to be an issue with my account now.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
godliest

godliest is notable
If u start at 0 fame u will probably need to do a lot of different things to prove that ur a true member. For example release movies.

Logins: 390
Comments:286
Ratings: 2
Movies: 8
Member for: 668 days
WCM Fame: 53
Rating Weight: 100
Downloads: 298
Warnings: 0

These are my stats. I have been staying at these stats for around 1-2 months now, and I don't see any special kind of system. After releasing my two first movies I made a huge jump in fame and rank. When I released my third movie I got these stats, since then I have stayed at them, no matter how many movies I watch and rate or what movies I release.

I myself has been kind of annoyed about this, but I don't mind all that much, cause really, what difference does fame make? I watch movies and is active at WCM because I think it's fun to create and watch other persons movies, not because I see it as a contest to get highest fame.

Albert Einstein Quotes
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
godliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
kiahann

kiahann is notable
It's not JUST downloads that improve rating its BEING active his logins are ALOT more then yours so its showing hes more active on the site.

When you get enough fame to rate it can go up quicker...

Rating movies improve fame (once you get high enough)

I'll show you mine for example.

Logins: 411
comments :195
rateings :128
member for : 657 days
downloads : 201

WCM Fame : 53

My stats are high... It just takes time the system is working as we like it
BUT we are still fiddling with it (as put by admins)

It is not an issue with your account... you have to try multiple things be active on the site.

And godliest is right doing things like releasing movies will give you the most fame while downloading takes time.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Dezzy
Initiate

Its not about getting a really high fame rating its about getting that first 2 points so i can actually partake in the community, i agree its fun to watch peoples movies but its also good to respond to them, at the moment i cant do that, that is the only reason i used the two comparisons, not because i'm trying to demand that i have a 50 fame rating because i've watched so many movies, i'd just like to actually get involved otherwise i'm not really paying for much more than a super fast download site with no adds.

Again i dont want seriously high fame, i just want to be able to rate + respond to peoples movie posts and am wondering how long it will actually take me to be able to take part in this section of the site.

-edit- Sorry i skipped the part about the logins, for along time my user / pass has been saved to my computer, so basically i need to spam login-logout to get my fame up to be able to post? Surley the fact i've downloaded so much suggests that i've been logged in more than 6 times?

Last edited by Dezzy : 02-19-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
brlefler
Initiate

brlefler is unknown at this point
I agree. I think it's patently ridiculous that you have to do so much work just to be able to rate videos or leave a comment for the uploader. I like this site, I bought a premium membership in part to support the site financially, I realize that bandwidth doesn't pay for itself. It just seems like nothing comes with it. The premium download servers really aren't all that great, you think at least a benefit would be an instant 2 fame or whatever it takes.
brlefler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
We have made it clear before, we are sticking to the current setup to reduce spam and people that think its fun to make 10 accounts to flame other authors. This is not the moderators decision, it was the Admins. If you would like to have them discuss this with you please PM Gedan or email [email protected].

I also stand behind them on this decision as well. I have been fighting this spam for over a year now and we have eliminated quite a bit of it by doing this. If you have a concern please direct it at Gedan and he will make it as clear as possible.
Valamir is offline   Reply With Quote