WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Actors & Directors Corner
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Olibith

Olibith is an unknown quantity at this point
WCM machinima editor's paranoia blues...

After hours and hours of editing instead of sleeping, trying to make it better than the last video, when the movie is finally done, that you've watch it again and again to be sure everything is in place, comes the time to upload it to WCM.

And sometimes, your movie is released with 10 other in the middle of the night, and no one gets to see it.

That's what happened 24 hours ago to my last movie, Never Stay Tuned.
It was recommended while it still was in the unapproved movie section, I know it's WCM way to tag a movie and it does not mean that the movie is gonna be recommended.
But it means one thing, they saw it, they know that the movie is not a simple first pvp movie made with a video cellular phone.

Anyway, my movie was released at the speed of light after uploading, and is now lost in the middle of nowhere.
It's not mine to judge my movie, but man, I can tell that it's at least as good as an Elf On which was announce 3 days before released on the top right corner of the homepage, recommended and still in the spotlights days after.

This is unfortunately not the first time this kinda things happend to me, like for exemple the Bull Gnome.
Once, I had the chance Gedan saw I'm only sleeping and decided to make it movie of the day and recommended it.

But only 5 hours later, another movie was promoted movie of the day by another moderator or some anti-french-gnome automatic script.

So as you could read, I'm pretty mad and sad. Our job as machinima editors is to make movies the best we can, and I'm really trying hard to.
As the best Warcraft machinima website, I think WCM's job is to help us a little promoting our works regardless of our fame, just looking at the quality of the movies we upload in a fair way.

Now, maybe should I get some sleep when I come back from work for a moment. Maybe am I over reacting, this is perhaps just a useless hobbie after all, and WCM a beast that needs to be feed with full buckets of images and tons of clics.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
godliest

godliest is notable
I have to agree that it sometimes feels like the more famous authors get recommendations easier, gets into the spotlight easier and so on. For a new author it can be hard to really show your talents when all the older ones always has it easier than you.

The same pretty much goes for ratings. Oxhorn gets his 5/5/5/5 ratings because he's Oxhorn, not necessary because the movie is so awesome it deserves 5/5/5/5. Although, Oxhorn does great movies. I just took Oxhorn as an example...

Regarding the movie: It well deserves a day in the spotlight. It got some sick editing and is fun. In my opinion, (much) better than Oxhorns Elf On.

Keep the good work up Olibith, your added to favorites now. I'm looking forward to more kickass Machinima.

Albert Einstein Quotes
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
godliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Olibith

Thanks for your support Godliest

Peoples rating high famous editors is fine with me, it's the same thing everytime you have the chance to have an audience, it's not always fair but that's the way it is.

Oh ! Look what's is in the spotlight since 2 hours ?
Elf On !
It might be god or just a moderator, but someone has a sick sense of humor
Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
soosisti

soosisti is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olibith View Post
It was recommended while it still was in the unapproved movie section, I know it's WCM way to tag a movie and it does not mean that the movie is gonna be recommended.
But it means one thing, they saw it, they know that the movie is not a simple first pvp movie made with a video cellular phone.

--

Now, maybe should I get some sleep when I come back from work for a moment. Maybe am I over reacting, this is perhaps just a useless hobbie after all, and WCM a beast that needs to be feed with full buckets of images and tons of clics.
Same thing has happened to me. For example with Unlimited Escapism vol. 1 and one other movie (can't really remember which one - it had the recommendation when it was on the queue, when it was released - poof and gone).

But on the topic a bit - that movie you released is great. I'm gonna add you to my favourite author list so I won't miss up anything Olibithy next time Also, I did not see the movie at all on the unapproved list (I do check it out very often). Or then I just should get better glasses.

Currently WCM is the best place to get your (WoW) machinima shown on the world. The other sites that I know of just don't have a big enough audiece

"WTF? plz stop and get a life !"
-Comment on Unlimited Escapism vol. 2 by Xah

Blog @ http://www.baronsoosdon.com
(Latest ramblings and information about my upcoming movies.)

IRC - #machinima @ Quakenet
Newbies and pros are welcome!
soosisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Olibith

Quote:
Originally Posted by soosisti View Post
Also, I did not see the movie at all on the unapproved list
Nope, it was there just for a few minutes and then was released and forget .

About the "recommended" star in the unapproved movies, Gedan told me once that it was just a way for them to tag the vidéo before they decide if it should or not get recommended when released... I almost had a heart attack when I saw that the star was gone with my "Prevously on LOST"

Anyway, thanks a lot Baron !
Old 05-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
Olibith

Might be God or a moderator but...
Never Stay Tuned is in the spotlights today !
Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
godliest

godliest is notable
Saw it. Congratulations, even tho I think it should be the featured movie of the day.

Albert Einstein Quotes
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
Olibith

Wow... Recommended and movie of the day...
Should I delete this post ? ^^

Old 05-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
godliest

godliest is notable
Naaah, it's thanks to this post that you got it to recommanded movie of the day.

Albert Einstein Quotes
Old 05-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Relax, Olibith, more then once I thought to myself "Why is this movie recommended - and this one not..?" It's the quality that will win at the end, one way or the other. And your latest movies are high-quality. I know that being recommended and getting loads of comments/ratings is the only "payment" we get, and therefor I understand your point. But as I said - good things come to those who wait. Its an universal rule, you can trust on it.