WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Thoradrim's Comprehensive Editing Program Listing

Editing Programs
I've tried all of these and can say they are all superb, if used properly. Of course, just as with anything else, the more you spend, the more options you'll have at your disposal.

Windows Movie Maker (free with Windows XP)
This is a fairly constraining program. The effects are all preset and there is little to no customization. If you're making a film for a friend or just want to show other players something "cool", Movie Maker is a good choice. If you're looking to make an epic saga, you're gonna have to spend some dough.
Movie Maker Home

Pinnacle Studio 9 ($79.99*; Free 30 Day Trial - Requires Email Address)
The program is extremely intuitive and easy to learn for the common home user. Sadly, it's extremely buggy, and will induce many headaches. Furthermore, you must purchase a plethora of plugins to harvest the program's full functionality. A very low A/V track limit makes this app almost inplausible for big projects. Still, it has some very nice effects and is a powerful little program overall. Suited for the patient hobbyist filmmaker.
Studio 9 Home
Trial

Ulead VideoStudio 9 ($99.99*; Free 30 Day Trial - Registration Required)
I highly recommend this program for both newbs and hobbyists alike. The interface is extremely intuitive, so it should be a piece of cake to learn. Great effects, great customization, and a pretty good chromakeyer. The only downer is the lack of more Audio Mixing Controls. If Adobe Premiere Elements intimidates you, you'll probably find VideoStudio very welcoming.
VideoStudio 9 Home
Trial

Adobe Premiere Elements ($99.99*; Free 30 Day Trial - Registration Required)
If you can get past its somewhat forboding interface, then you'll find Premiere Elements is probably the most powerful editing app in its price range. 99 A/V tracks combined with excellent effects controls and timeline manipulation, and you've got a monster on your hands. For the price, it can't be beat...
Premiere Elements Home
Trial (NTSC)

Sony Vegas 6 ($449*; Free 30 Day Trial)
Sony Vegas is really starting to shine as an all-in-one editing solution. It has some of the best built-in sound controls I've ever seen and it's definately no slacker when it comes to the visual aspect. All effects are high-quality and easy to manipulate. Color correction and transitions are top notch. The interface is intuitive and quick to learn. If Adobe isn't careful, Sony will take the spotlight.
Vegas 6 Home
Trial

Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 ($699*; Free 30 Day Trial - Registration Required)
Premiere Pro is my "baby" when it comes to editing. She's a powerful app, bordering on Pro-grade. She's not as "glamourous" as Vegas, but she packs quite a punch. If you couldn't tell, I'm a Premiere Pro fanboy and therefore you'll never get a nonbiased summary. Embarassed
Premiere Pro 1.5 Home
Trial
Fun Tutorials

Other Software
I've tried a few of these, so will comment on what I can.

Final Cut Pro (MAC ONLY) ($999*; No Trial) - Get ready for the fast lane, hun - this is what the Pros use. There's nothing you can't do with this little baby.
iMovie HD (MAC ONLY) ($79.99*; No Trial) - From what I hear, this is one powerful little app. "The lite version of Final Cut".
Avid (EXPENSIVE) - The editing behemoth of the film/broadcast industry. You're getting into serious territory here. Unless you have been to film school or have some editing background, stay away.
Roxio Videowave 7 ($49.99*; No Trial) - I really can't recommend this one - extremely limited and unstable. Movie Maker could probably do a better job.
Video Explosion Deluxe ($79.99*; No Trial)
Pinnacle Liquid 6 ($499*; Free Trial - By Mail Only)
Ulead Media Studio Pro 7 ($299*; Free Trial - Registration Required)

Adobe Photoshop CS2 ($599*; Free 30 Day Trial - Registration Required) - Digital Imaging, Graphic Design, Video Mattes... Is there anything Photoshop can't do?
Sony Acid Pro 5 ($299*; Free 30 Day Trial) - Loop-based Music Creation. Create royalty-free music even if you aren't a musician!
Sony Sound Forge 8 ($299*; Free 30 Day Trial) - Excellent sound editing software.
Adobe After Effects 6.5 Pro ($999*; Free 30 Day Trial - Registration Required) - The industry standard for video compositing.

* = US Currency

Originally posted by Thoradrim on the old forum
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Punchline

Punchline is notable
Thank you. This was very informative considering I'm looking for a new editing program.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Balgosa
Hall of Fame member

Balgosa is notable
my recommendation is Sony Vegas. It is a bit expensive but Sony Vegas Movie Studio is only $79 and it has a lot of options. The drawback being it can only do 2 video, 2 audio tracks.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
Onlis

Onlis is unknown at this point
I would recommend Sony Vegas. It worked really well for me when I started editing.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
teh_taco
Hall of Fame member

teh_taco is unknown at this point
I started with crappy windows movie maker and switched to adobe premiere. Good choice for me - after some tutorials the start was kind of easy, maybe because I'm using photoshop for ages now and the handling is similar.

guess I should try out apple's final cut, since I can't manage to understand after effects properly.. it's just too big
teh_taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
Holes
Initiate

Holes is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlis View Post
I would recommend Sony Vegas. It worked really well for me when I started editing.
When you started editing huh?

I've been trying to dive into the world of... world of warcraft movie making and i have this program but just don't know how to ustilize most of the features. Does any website come to mind where i could find alot of tutorials for things that would pertain to some of the stuff you might find in pvp or pve WoW videos?
Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Ragnorok161

Ragnorok161 is unknown at this point
This is a good guide. Im trying UVS 10 Full =D

Edit: Got myself Adobe Premier 2.... But I don't got windows XP FUC$! Ill trade someone

Last edited by Ragnorok161 : 10-31-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Ragnorok161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
kiahann

kiahann is notable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holes View Post
When you started editing huh?

I've been trying to dive into the world of... world of warcraft movie making and i have this program but just don't know how to ustilize most of the features. Does any website come to mind where i could find alot of tutorials for things that would pertain to some of the stuff you might find in pvp or pve WoW videos?

use this guide
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpB...b611323cf:top:

Sylvictus picked this guide out from another topic it's really good.

It's a vegas tutorial.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
deadworkersparty

deadworkersparty is unknown at this point
Here's a list of free Windows video editors:

Free Alternatives to After Effects for creating special effects and compositing:
Old 01-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #10
wuddersup
Initiate

wuddersup is unknown at this point
I use Vegas also. It's easy to self-learn without using tutorials. Just drag and drop clips and music. Click buttons to add effects, rinse and repeat. Easy chroma-keying!
wuddersup is offline   Reply With Quote