WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
dirtyblueFL
Hall of Fame member

dirtyblueFL is an unknown quantity at this point
Rendering in AfterEffects: Files way too big

Hello, im using After effects 6.5 with the Quicktime H.264 HD compression.

When i render in HD, my files are far too large for most hosting sites and my videos are denied by Warcraftmovies for file size per minute.

my current rendering stats are:
30FPS
Limit data rate to 1000 KBytes/s
Best quality
1280 x 720

With those settings i just rendered a 2 minute intro and the file size came to be 124MB and the quality was hardly above "good" IMHO when watching it.

EDIT: I just reduced the res to 800 x 520 and still got the same 124 MB file size. What do i doooo!?

Isnt there a way to insert "I want my file size to equal ____" and then just hit render?

Help me get my file size down, IDC if i have to use a new compressor, i just want to upload in HD with a small file size.

Last edited by dirtyblueFL : 08-31-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: updates
dirtyblueFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Blueroze

Blueroze is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyblueFL View Post
Hello, im using After effects 6.5 with the Quicktime H.264 HD compression.

When i render in HD, my files are far too large for most hosting sites and my videos are denied by Warcraftmovies for file size per minute.

my current rendering stats are:
30FPS
Limit data rate to 1000 KBytes/s
Best quality
1280 x 720

With those settings i just rendered a 2 minute intro and the file size came to be 124MB and the quality was hardly above "good" IMHO when watching it.

EDIT: I just reduced the res to 800 x 520 and still got the same 124 MB file size. What do i doooo!?

Isnt there a way to insert "I want my file size to equal ____" and then just hit render?

Help me get my file size down, IDC if i have to use a new compressor, i just want to upload in HD with a small file size.
Firstly ditch AE as your source of encoding. It is primarily an effects suite with an encoding section tagged on that is not very good.

Render as Uncompressed/ lossless. This will provide a huge ass file in the gb's.

Choose from the myriad of encoders out there to render it down to the file size you wish, here are some examples:

Sony Vegas
StaxRip
MegUI
AzxGUI

There are a number of tutorial links on WCM but here is one on how to use MegUI:

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=76781
Blueroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
OldScratch
Initiate

OldScratch is unknown at this point
True, using AE to render the final version of your film is not a good idea. I think the best way to do it is save it as an uncompressed file, then compress it using MPEGStreamclip in h.264 format. It usually gets a small file that has great quality.

-Old
OldScratch is offline   Reply With Quote