WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Discussion - NEW
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Abyzz
Initiate

Abyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
The almost controversial question I'm asking myself right now is whether or not it would just be best with one general perimeter. Skip all the technicalities, the special rules for special topics, and just go with one freaking bar that says "RATE ME 1-10". Keep it short and simple - that's a famous sales-pitch lecture, and it seems to work very well on some of the largest sites around the globe. I for one am a fan for being able to rate as adequately as possible, but at some point the cure is worse than the cancer. And I think we're moving closer and closer to that point.

What do you think?
Abyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Hacky
Hall of Fame member

Hacky is unknown at this point
That's what Uzbeki wants to do, to change it into like that, super simple sledge hammer approach and I kinda agree with him it's prob the lesser of the evils and the best way to do it, compromise wise. But I think a lot of people will be very emotional about suddenly their ratings in whatever categories got nuked.
Hacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
Abyzz
Initiate

As is the nature of people, taking something away - no matter how insignificant and irrelevant it is - always leads to anger and frustration. It's actually a very core element of business communication (which I'm currently studying). Still, so long as ratings are maintained and not lost in the process (that is, a 4/4/5/5 rating now is transformed to one rating of 4.5 out of 5, or 9 out of 10) I reckon the vast majority will get over it fairly fast. And as with most things, it's all a question of presentation, and how well the change is communicated. If the result is better than what's currently there, in time people will see and come to respect it...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
O.K.,so it's just the three of us - could be worse.
Following that idea with "just one rating and that's it" would result in the same problem dressed in another gown.
Still we will have high ratings on short movies with no "artistic" whatsoever efford being put into it..and it would be even easier to give such ratings,from the "moral" pov.

What about this idea: A rating licence.Everybody who wants to rate has to read and fully understand and sign Abyzz' rating guide.

O.K.,it's late and I am a bit out of mind and body-time to take a nap.

Come what come, one thing is for sure: outstanding movies on WcM will never be "Nunatak",as the innuit say,by the rating.We will have to live with that.

*sigh*

(being emo gives me a cozy feeling)

good night for now
Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
Abyzz
Initiate

There is no such thing as a perfect rating, and I think all of us realize that. What we're discussing at this point in time is whether or not there are better alternatives to the current rating. As always when you allow people to be subjective about something, the results of those opinions are hardly ever representative. Still, that fact can't be battled no matter what system is used.

The only thing that really matters is to give the receiver - in this case the rater - the best possible way to express his/her opinion at the least possible cost of time and effort. Ratings based on creativity, content jada jada allow us to express our opinion about just these elements, which means that in order to work fully in all cases you need a helluvalot of elements to judge by, which makes the time and effort bit go phut. There's no reason to believe that a one-bar 1-10 rating system would inspire any more inaccurate ratings than we're currently seeing, in any segment of movie genres.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #16
soosisti

soosisti is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacky View Post
I mean I think I have never rated a Baron movie 5 in all categories, coz if I DID it tells him 'this is perfection, u can do no better, this is your master piece' so I don't want to give him 5... YET
And that's why you rock!

But on the topic, sticky plix. Or actually, put it everywhere over the site. Even better, this should be read and understood by everyone who registers on the site.

This was written very well. Kick ass. That's all I got to say for now.

As for the rating system.. imo, to hell with the different categories. If a movie sucks, it sucks - if it rocks, it rocks. A solid 1-5 star system would be just perfect.

The visual quality, editing, creativity etc things are different to every viewer.

"WTF? plz stop and get a life !"
-Comment on Unlimited Escapism vol. 2 by Xah

Blog @ http://www.baronsoosdon.com
(Latest ramblings and information about my upcoming movies.)

IRC - #machinima @ Quakenet
Newbies and pros are welcome!
soosisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
Hacky
Hall of Fame member

Hi baby, glad you're not pissed at me for not voting straight 5's :-P

If I was gonna rate my own movie, my Illidan tac one, it would go like this...

Content: 5
Creativity: 3
Editing: 3
A/V Qual.: 4

I do fine the 5/5/5/5/5 very silly, but ofc flattering not flattering as in I think it deserves straight 5's coz I KNOW it doesn't, but flattering in the sense that it made those people excited and stuff.

I've been meditating on the ratings system, if I had to pick one right now, this would be the new system I would choose:

The ratings system would have two elements, the first the actual rating itself, a simple slider bar or dots to put ticks in, 1 to 10. Then the 2nd element would be little icons with check boxes, this is a system employed by some sites, where you can tick the boxes you feel this movie covers well, they would have a little picture on them and words; FUNNY, PLAYER SKILLZ, EDITING SKILLZ, AV QUALITY, VERY CREATIVE, INFORMATIVE, STUPID, SPOILER. Something like that, doesn't have to be those words but you get the idea. THEN in the search page you could order it BY those 'ticks' so if a movie say had 5 ticks in funny but 10000 ticks in creative, you can order it by the most creative ticks first so you can find all the creative movies. Get me?

This system would then give an over all rating if the movie is good or bad, AND give you more granular ratings detail WITHOUT it effecting the over all rating number! So it separates the two elements completely so they don't contaminate each other.

Good idea? Or, shit? Give feedback plix

Last edited by Hacky : 05-02-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #18
Abyzz
Initiate

That's actually a very good idea. It would also help make searching easier, so that for example me, whose eyes easily bleed from poor image quality, can sort by those that have X amount of hits on "NO MORE PIXELATED FACES". That'd be brilliant!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
@ hacky:

WoW, that's convinging,honestly.Teach me your way to meditate,please.
Nothing to add, this looks like a VERY GOOD rating system to me.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
Hacky
Hall of Fame member

Cool glad u like it

I think also another benefit of this system would be it's noob proofing. Even if all the sheeple voted 10, they're hardly likely to start ticking random boxes. So the whole box ticking thing is something which the more educated movie buffs would use to rate and select movies, while the 1 to 10 bar would be for the masses. So it gives a nice way to separate the two from each other without them cross-pollinating and contaminating each other I think.

We could EVEN make it (and now we get pretentious) so that only people of movie contributor rank can even USE the tick boxes. ie you have to have uploaded a movie, to use that element of the rating system. Thus ensuring only people who appreciate the efforts of movie making, can rate them in that way. Or, is that taking it too far? :-P

Last edited by Hacky : 05-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.