WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > News and Comments
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
New search tag system

We have created a way for authors to tag their movies with certain words to make it easier to find.

The search result page has also had a complete rewrite to show more info about the movies found.

This is still considered beta and we apreciate if you report any bugs you may find. Don't forget to refresh your cache since your browser may not read the new javascripts added

Read the full version of this news item on WarcraftMovies.com
Uzbeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Rand
Initiate

Rand is unknown at this point
How do you edit tags for your movie? Mine seem to be arbitrarily yanked from the description, yet leaving out the bossname from the Title, making searches for a particular bosskill pretty inaccurate.
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
Evertras
Hall of Fame member

Evertras is an unknown quantity at this point
So far I am not liking it at all. I think this is a great idea as a separate system, but as it stands I can't direct anyone to my own movies. I was telling people "Go to WCM and search there", and they come back very confused when they can't find them. I now have to give them my site's URL and ask them to follow the links from there. It's just silly.

I'd love this as a "search tags" next to the regular search, but right now it's absolutely maddening to find certain movies. Please remove it. :/

(edit)

I'm trying to find the 2 man onyxia vid for example, and when I hit enter it just autocompletes, and upon actually managing to perform the search I get 56 results, absolutely none of which are what I wanted. UGH! This is really frustrating and I'm honestly going to mostly avoid the site until this goes away. -.-

Last edited by Evertras : 07-24-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Evertras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
baloo

baloo is unknown at this point
thank you for your reports,
the search queries are still being looked at to be more accurate.

there also seems to be a few bugs with internet explorer that we are looking at
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Evertras
Hall of Fame member

If you can make it prioritize results based on title/author (i.e., if I search for "Evertras" it turns up nothing currently, and "I Suck At Dueling" turns up a whole mix of stuff), then list possible similar movies based on keywords, that would be awesome imo. I apologize for being a bit upset in my previous post, I was just getting extremely frustrated. I do stand by my statements though. :/

(edit)

Also, I use firefox.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
baloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
How do you edit tags for your movie? Mine seem to be arbitrarily yanked from the description, yet leaving out the bossname from the Title, making searches for a particular bosskill pretty inaccurate.
This should now work in both IE and FF browsers if you click edit movie in your movieview.
Don't forget to refresh your cache
Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
baloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertras View Post
If you can make it prioritize results based on title/author (i.e., if I search for "Evertras" it turns up nothing currently, and "I Suck At Dueling" turns up a whole mix of stuff), then list possible similar movies based on keywords, that would be awesome imo. I apologize for being a bit upset in my previous post, I was just getting extremely frustrated. I do stand by my statements though. :/

(edit)

Also, I use firefox.
I can't find any title matching "Evertras" in the database.

Right now if a movie matches a tagword, it has priority, I agree with you that there should be added priority to movies that also match words on title, I'm looking into this.. but the query is complicated
Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Rand
Initiate

Rand is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
This should now work in both IE and FF browsers if you click edit movie in your movieview.
Don't forget to refresh your cache
Thanks, I can see the tag edit boxes now.

I don't know if it's intended but, it looks as though the search is case sensitive. All the tags seem to default to lower case, but if someone searches for an uppercase version of a tag, it comes up with 0 "tag matches".

For example, searching for "Malchezaar" comes up with 0 tag matches since all the tags are lower case... although it does still manage to bring up most of the Prince Malchezaar videos through other means (my guess is the title).

So, if you want tag matches to take precedence, maybe the search shouldn't be case-sensitive.

Last edited by Rand : 07-24-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
baloo

The actual search is case insensitive,
but the highlights are wrong and we will fix this.

thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
Evertras
Hall of Fame member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
I can't find any title matching "Evertras" in the database.

Right now if a movie matches a tagword, it has priority, I agree with you that there should be added priority to movies that also match words on title, I'm looking into this.. but the query is complicated
The Evertras thing was a suggestion so you could search for an author, but that concerns me less than the title. I'm glad you agree with me on the concept, and I can understand the system being complicated, that puts my mind at ease.