WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
doubleyou
Initiate

doubleyou is an unknown quantity at this point
My movie isn't on the front page?

Hey.

Something just stroke me today.

I saw a movie, submitted 30 mins ago, was on the front page of WCM with the picture and so, in that line with pictures of 4 movies.

My movie has been submitted for 24 hours almost, but it hasn't been there.

I included WCM Promo clip and all that stuff - why isn't my movie shown there then?

Best regards,

Soren
doubleyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Hi !
Only very few movies make it to the "line with the 4 movies".
Including a WCM promo clip does not give you a hundred percent guarantee to get there.
Why your movie did not make it, I can not tell you, maybe a mod / admin can

Regards

Dwârv
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #3
doubleyou
Initiate

I just wondered why a 30 min old video got on the list, and my 24 hours old movie didn't.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
Well, there are two things we have to calculate here. One of them is our script that is in place. From time to time we allow our script to choose a movie to be featured, it is random and it only picks movies with pictures. The second thing that can happen, and it is more often than normal, is that our Administration on the website picks out movies to be featured for any reason they desire. In this case they must have been intrigued by that movie you are referring to. So no worries, but if you feel this is in error we can certainly take a look at your video, just give us the name and possibly a link to it when it gets released.
Valamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
doubleyou
Initiate

Well, I actually just wanted to know the system behind this. How the movies are chosen and so =) .

But - the name is Owlish PvP'ing 1 (Mage 0/40/21)
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
RaggokMDV
Initiate

RaggokMDV is unknown at this point
Quote:
our Administration on the website picks out movies to be featured for any reason they desire
A lot of movies they are intrigued by suck according to the ratings.

Doubleyou, I have a theory for you. For PvP if the movie has "gladiator" mentioned it or has a player with a lot of gladiator gear it gets featured regardless of whether the movie sucks or not. And, if it happens to be from the EU big bonus points towards getting featured.

Last edited by RaggokMDV : 08-14-2007 at 08:50 AM.
RaggokMDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggokMDV View Post
A lot of movies they are intrigued by suck according to the ratings.

Doubleyou, I have a theory for you. For PvP if the movie has "gladiator" mentioned it or has a player with a lot of gladiator gear it gets featured regardless of whether the movie sucks or not. And, if it happens to be from the EU big bonus points towards getting featured.
I agree that some movies up there have not been up to standards (I had one movie removed from there today) however I think you overgeneralizing the issue with irony The movies on the features tend to be judged harder than others, a rating over 4 I would say is OK. The features should be a mix of older and new movies, blockbusters and more obscure releases. Its not necessarily best of the best at all times.

I invite you to check the features the coming days and comment on the selection.Feedback is always welcome.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
RaggokMDV
Initiate

RaggokMDV is unknown at this point
Quote:
Its not necessarily best of the best at all times.
I understand that at times it would be impossible for you to do that just from the pure amount of movies that you have to deal with daily and your inability to look into a crystal ball and see which movies are going to take off or not. Please look at my suggestion for "tabbing" the Featured Box in a similar way that you do for the lists: PvP, PvE, Comedy, etc...

http://www.mmorpgforum.net/showthread.php?t=1796

You might not be seeing this, but there are several movie-makers out there who are a bit upset with the complete randomness of whether their movie will get featured or not. I just ran across this today. There are a few rather noticeable names in there agreeing with him.... Xantim, Spoh...

http://www.gameriot.com/blogs/Videos...omehowI-swear/
RaggokMDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
Dakkaeo
Initiate

Dakkaeo is unknown at this point
Owner of the above mentioned blog, Dakk, here

thank you Oozo for shining light on this subject. I've even had several thoughts, such as, several daily spotlights, for different types of movies. A Pve spotlight, comedy spotlight, pvp spotlight- so the best of each category can be noticed. (edit: I just noticed you made a thread with the same idea)

Or perhaps, a system, that allows premium users to give 'spotlight votes' on movies beforehand to their release.

All I know, is that there is an OPTION in movie submission that asks if you included a WCM promo clip. Why is there an option? If the moderator watched the movie through and through, it seems like something that someone would notice if it was there or not. (unless the guy completely overedited the logo beyond recognition)

I may be right or I may be wrong, but what I do know, is I am terrified.

I am terrified of releasing the movie I have worked on for a completely exaggerated several months, because I have done it before, and the movie has simply floated down the list along with the others- only to let a movie such as

"I'm a Paladin"

to be shown on the spotlight.
Dakkaeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Dakkaeo
Initiate

Dakkaeo is unknown at this point
Here are some hard numbers I mentioned in my blog about my past released movies.

Dakk Heed - Never reached front page; 2.7k downloads
Dakk Disciplines of Heed - Never reached front page; 2.9k downloads
Dakk 3 Cross - Never reached front page; 4.5k downloads
Dakk 4 Lost is Found - Never reached front page; 9.5k downloads
Dakk 5 Enjoy - Never reached front page; 4.7k downloads
Dakk 6 Breadth- Front page; 26.3k downloads
Dakk 7 Aftermath - Never reached front page; 7.8k downloads
Dakk 8 Alpha - Front page; 21.9k downloads

The sixth movie made it up there. The seventh movie was of equal or greater quality, but did not. (Seventh movie, a week after it's released, had not even reached 5k downloads. 7.8k downloads shows its current state, since its release in late 2006.)

As an author that's only 20k downloads (one spotlighted movie) away from being inducted into the Hall of Fame, I strongly support a better system, whatever it may be.

Last edited by Dakkaeo : 08-14-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Dakkaeo is offline   Reply With Quote