WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Arcadies
Initiate

Arcadies is an unknown quantity at this point
Zooming In On Crits With Vegas 7

I've been looking for how to do this for days, been through some guides and read some information on effects and nothing!

I would absolutley love anyone who can teach me how to zoom in on the picture when you are making a movie for something (e.g. a BIG critical hit or maybe when you see another player coming at you from a distance/a rogue that goes under stealth).

I'm making (attempting, that is ) a PvP movie and i feel this is a vital part of my style, so all help would be much appreciated!

Regards, Arcadies

Last edited by Arcadies : 12-06-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Arcadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Eith
Initiate

Eith is unknown at this point
Doing this from memory...

1. Click on your clip, go to Pan/crop
2. In the Pan/Crop window, go to a point just before the crit and add keyframe. Don't zoom or anything, just have it default,
3. Create another keyframe after the first keyframe, at the crit (or maybe a split second before). In this keyframe, zoom in so the movie is focused on the crit
4. Create a 3rd keyframe right after the crit, make the zoom default (template--> default).

This should create a sharp zoom effect...basically the keyframes should look like this:

[default camera].....[zoomed in on crit].....[default default]
Eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Arcadies
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, I tried following what you said but it seems that it didn't work out as i wanted it to..

I think i had problems with the zoom tool and stuff, and navigated around the screen position of where it would be zoomed in..

This is my first time using the Pan/Crop tool so if you know any tutorials anywhere that describe how to use this tool more in depth, i would appreciate it alot.

Thanks for your help i'm half way there now..

Regards, Arcadies
Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Eith
Initiate

Eith is unknown at this point
Sorry I will try to explain again more clear, but hard with no pictures. This time I have my Vegas open:

Open your Event Pan/Crop window

You should see some bars at the very bottom. First scroll to the point in the movie right before your crit. Click on a botton at the very bottom that looks like this: <+>. It will create a keyframe, and a little <> button will appear in the bar. Leave this one alone.

Scroll to a point a tiny bit further in your movie (like when the crit happens). Again, click <+> to add a keyframe. This time, in the window which shows the screen of your movie...you see dotted lines, with a big circle on top of a square on top of a giant "F". Use your mouse and drag the square so it is smaller (this zooms it in).

Then scroll to a point even further down, after your crit. Click <+> to add a keyframe, and this time go to the top where it says "Preset:" and use the scroll menu to select Default. This will bring all those dotted lines back to where they originally were.

This should create the zoom function you're seeking. Essentially, the keyframes act as reference points, so you are sandwhiching two "default zoom" points around a "zoomed in".

I hope that was more clear
Eith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Arcadies
Initiate

Thankyou ever so much! This was much more clear and now i understand what you mean about dragging the view of the circle & square to a smaller size to make the screen smaller.

Again, thanks. This will help alot when making my PvP movie.

Regards, Arcadies