WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Suggestions
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
parl2001
Hall of Fame member

parl2001 is unknown at this point
nasty comments on videos

Just thought it might be possible to write some code to get a bot to go around and trawl for vulgar language and whatnot in the comments section. Love the website, but the community seems to be strictly two different kinds of people:

1. those who are here to post machinima and find others who enjoy this new artform
2. immature idiots who are just looking to talk trash and badmouth people who work hard at something they don't get paid for
parl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
Have you reported those that are using vulgar language and such? Our report comment feature is the best way to get these matters handled fast and simple. One of the Admins will check the reported comments/ratings ASAP. Unfortunately we had talked about a bot in the past and concluded that it might not be the best thing to have but who knows, life is change.
Valamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
parl2001
Hall of Fame member

Would love to see a feature to allow posters to approve comments before they are shown. Youtube has this, and while it may not be a perfect solution, certainly lets an author have a little more control over what goes on in the comments section of their movie pages.

I don't think this would get overly abused, since a bad movie will simply not get enough 'good' ratings to actually show up in the overall ratings.

Another option would be to only have the author-approval on comments but still allow unapproved ratings. Aggressive downrating would still be an issue, but no more than it is today, where imho it's not that big of a deal.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
One thing you will never get rid of, are immature kretinos spamming stupid stuff in any comment box within reach.Same for this site.But compared to other sites and compared to the language spoken here about one or two years ago, i think we have made some remarkeble development here.
A bot would be o.k. though, but is imho not really needed.
And giving the moviemakers more control on the comments, is something I wished for myself from time to time. But thinking seriously about such a feature, I - unlike you - do think this would get overly abused.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
parl2001
Hall of Fame member

So imagine that I'm a pretty bad movie maker - not too far from the truth if you're unlucky enough to have seen one or two of my worse attempts.

I get a bunch of nasty comments.
I choose not to approve those comments for display on that movie's page.
People who get to the page after a while notice the lack of comments but see low ratings - they're either bored and stream or download to find out for themselves how crappy I am - or they figure that the number of ratings coupled with no comments displayed mean that it's not all that great of a movie and they move on.

How would this be abused?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
jetjetster
Initiate

jetjetster is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree there should be some author approval method because my twink video started off getting 4s and 5s, then somehow some twink haters got rid of it and ive had a stream of 1s, based on nothing but the fact its twink pvp rather than the editting or anything like that, i have reported these comments but they have not been removed as of yet and its extremely disheartening to see my video rated 3.2-3.4 when yesterday it was 4.6-4.8, all due to these twink haters, this in turn has lowered the number of daily downloads which has again lowered teh number of comments and ratings im getting.

i apologise for the wall of text and nerd rage, its just very very frustrating to see something i worked very hard on bad mouthed just because it dosent contain the sort of pvp that is to these peoples tastes.

P.S it does have a big warning saying its a twink pvp video and is in no way misleading in its content...
jetjetster is offline   Reply With Quote