Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Dreamfinder
Initiate

Dreamfinder is unknown at this point
Some problems, keyword: Laptop, widescreen

Hello.

Over the last few days ive started to investigate abit the world of Movie making.

Ive gotten myself the latest Fraps, and read a couple of tutorials on how to get started.
So today I decided I was going to devote my day to try frapsing some footage from me PVPing in WoW.

But from my first second of beeing a movie maker i started encountering problems, this problem beeing low fps.
With fraps disabled i run a smooth 60 fps.(monitor 60hz) but when fraps is enabled, my fps drop down to around 15-20 just running around in stormwind. (settings: Full size, 25 fps)

This i reckon would be a problem for people with poor computers, but i didnt think i would have the same problem due to my computer beeing almost brand new.
Im currently sitting on a Dell XPS2 M1710 with dual core 2.16 ghz, 17" widescreen 60hz 1920x1080, 1gb ram and Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX 512.

Im wondering if the problem i have is due to some wrong settings, or just beeing the computer the itself. I dont know if quality or performance differs from a fairly powerful Laptop and a regular stationary computer.

Also the quality on the movies get a bit scrambled, especially if i run on half-size, and im wondering if this is due to it beeing widescreen.

I would just like some info on what might be wrong, or some input on maybe how to make things work more like it should.
I've allready tried to almost decrease all the ingame video options to see if the result would be better, but didnt notice much improvement.
Also one more thing, does the setting i have in Windows effect the frapsing quality in-game?
In windows i have 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, and in-game 1280 x 720, which is the lowest widescreen option.

Hope you guys can help thnx.
Dreamfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
deadworkersparty

deadworkersparty is unknown at this point
It sounds like your laptop has enough power and memory to be capable of good performance with Fraps. However, your storage device may be the bottleneck.

Fraps is very harddrive intensive. It helps to have your OS installed on a different harddrive than the one with WoW installed AND your video capturing drive. Drives really need to be 7200 RPM or faster to get the best performance when recording video.

I recommend Serial ATA (SATA) drives for non-linear editing. While these drives do have a cost premium, the improved sustained data throughput is worth it. Also, the new cables are nice which allow for better air flow inside the computer case. Another option: a RAID setup. For the best results, set up a dedicated RAID 0 stripe for your video & media files. This will give you a huge capacity with the fastest possible sustained throughput for your editing.

It is NOT recommended to set up your computer with a single RAID 0 array as your boot drive and video storage. This will actually give you poor performance for video editing. The constant reading and writing of small bits of data to the boot drive works against the need to read & write large continuous video files. Add in the overhead of the RAID controller and you get potential bottlenecks. For video editing you always want to have a dedicated drive or RAID array for your video files.