WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
Vyx
Initiate

Vyx is unknown at this point
Fraps + WoW

I know there are a few of these threads floating around but I'm still having issues frapsing wow. I'm just trying to fraps some bg's atm (eots, ab) however, I'm still getting horrible frame rates when I start recording.

Without recording I'm getting ~60-100 FPS depending on the area I'm in. It drops to ~40 in Shatt. All settings maxed in WoW.

If I record at 1/2 size, 30 FPS, no sync unchecked; I get 30 FPS constant which I'm assuming is how it should be. This is playable.

If I try to record at full size, 30 FPS, no sync unchecked; It drops to ~15-20 FPS. I am hoping there is a way to increase this as its kinda glitchy trying to do any sort of quality pvp while dealing with this.

Checking/unchecking no sync doesn't seem to have any effect.

My computer is fairly respectable:
Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz
4 Gb Crucial Ballistix Ram, OC 4-4-4-12
Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 (G92)
Cores running at a mere 30 C under load.
1680x1050 resolution

I'm almost positive I should be able to record at full size with this computer. What gives? This video over at warcraft movies is recorded at full size (check the resolution, max fraps full size rez) and is in near perfect quality with no lag yet the date submitted would indicate that their computer couldn't be much better than mine if at all.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vyx

Last edited by Vyx : 04-17-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Vyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Yvese
Initiate

Yvese is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, your setup is roughly the same as mine ( My E6750 is @ 3.4 ghz, and I have a 3870 also running @ 1680x1050 ). I suffer somewhat the same problem. However, I have noticed that after you record a little @ full size, the lag starts going down and the framerate starts stabilizing. What I do is start recording at full size ( Try recording in a crowded area. I find that it doesn't work if you record in an an area with noone around ), and just let it record for about a minute or two. After you're done recording for a minute or two, delete the footage and start again. Do this until the framerate starts stabilizing.

I'm not sure if this will work for you as well, but while I record my guilds first-kills, if I don't spend time recording a few minutes of trash before-hand, the recording becomes very sloppy and stutters. After I record and stress my CPU/HD, my FPS starts staying @ 30-40 while recording. I'm not sure if you've tried this, and I can't guarentee it will even work for you. It's just something I have noticed.

What HD are you using, btw? I'm on a WD 7200RPM SATA HD. Your ram is more than enough ( I have half of what you have ), but I think that quad cores and a raptor, or even RAID 0 setups are more suited for full-size, high-res footage. But like I said, I have found a way around it.

Good luck, and sorry this is all I can suggest. I'd suggest bumping down the res to 1440x900, but then what's the point of "full size" footage?

Last edited by Yvese : 04-18-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Yvese is offline   Reply With Quote