WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > General Community Discussion > General MMORPG Discussion
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
exeker
Initiate

exeker is unknown at this point
Battle of the Immortals

So, Battle of the Immortals just came out of open beta recently - I've been playing it for the past week or so and there's so much to do that I still get overwhelmed.. but that's a good thing. You know how you tend to get familiar with an mmorpg and not end up learning/seeing much new stuff after a couple days (or a week)? This isn't one of those games. You play and play and you'll still be coming across new stuff.

I'm going to touch on SOME of the awesome points of this game:
- Incredibly efficient game - I can run it on my netbook, it's not really playable but it's serviceable if I want to run a shop on it or something. My average ram usage per client ranges from 100MB-300MB!! It's hard to imagine how they packed decent visuals in while using so little ram at the same time. CPU usage is minimal, and GPU usage also appears to be minimal. I've had F2P MMOs that look worse and run MUCH more poorly than this game. No slowdowns in town with dozens of shops on the screen or anything.
- Virtually ANY creature in the game can be captured to be used as a pet (and there are dozens upon dozens if not hundreds of unique creatures in the game). Have anything from a Human "Officer" at your side, to scorpions, bears, tigers, elves, nagas, dragons... the list goes on!
- Auto-walk system - This is a really excellent feature about the game. With as many quests as there are in the game (which have a pretty good amount of variation), manually walking EVERYWHERE would be pretty tiring.. but this auto walk system can take you just about anywhere in the world with a single click on a map. The walking system is nearly flawless (have yet to experience a glitch with it), and very accurate... a click on a local map (more on that next) takes you pretty much exactly where you want. You can also click just about anything that shows up in your quest log as orange (stashes for collection quests, mobs for kill quests, NPCs for the return trip or 'referral' quests) and it'll take you directly there!
- Map system - World map with local maps for each zone. Very well done system with all npcs/mobs(incl their levels)/stashes/etc divided up into important categories (map connection points, teleporters, daily function npcs, event guides, merchants, common function NPCs, miscellaneous, etc). World map shows a list of mobs on local maps with levels and all.
- More items than you can count - Most of them are extremely useful & can be used for various purposes such as upgrading your mount for better aesthetics/speed/mount buff, 'fortifying' gear/pets to make them stronger, 'gemming' weapons/armors to give them extra effects (unlike other F2P MMOs, all these can be done without spending a dime on the cash shop (more on that below)!).
- Non-infurating cash shop practices - They don't make you pay for pretty much anything cool.. you can get a pretty good experience without ever dropping a dime - but like all F2P MMOs there are perks to dropping some cash (how else would they stay in business?). My biggest gripe is that the inventory is somewhat limited (but not as limited as Allod Online's if you've ever played that game) - you get 25 inventory slots and 20 "warehouse(stash)" slots. But for the most part, the game is very much playable/enjoyable without ever spending a dime.
- Ingame system for buying/selling cash shop currency - Lets you set up buy and/or sell orders to purchase cash shop currency with ingame currency, or ingame currency with your cash.
- Comprehensive party system - There are many ways to find a party... the most elegant is a "party center" that will put you on a list of people party owners can recruit from depending on what you want to do. You want an party for the instance Jail quest? You got it! You can also apply to be in a party by clicking any person in the party and hitting Apply - the request notifies the party leader that you want to join. There's also a "Nearby players" window in the Party window to scope out people in parties which you can then apply for, or invite them to your own party.
- Daily/weekly/special events - These range from instance 'dungeons' to gathering events for materials for crafting of items. There's too much to list here, lets just say that there's a crapton of events.
- Fast (and fulfilling) leveling - I never cared much for super-slow MMORPGs with slow killspeed, slow leveling, and a generally boring tune. BoI is a fast game... it's entirely possible to hit level 35 (current level cap is 120 I believe) in under 6 hours, though it slows down quite a bit after that. There's a LOT to look forward to every couple levels; new gears, new skills, new quests, new dungeons, access to new (higher tier) pets, relics, etc.
- Tons of other great systems - Crafting (which seems a little unfinished atm but you can still make a lot of things), achievements, treasures, main quest line chronicles, tech system (which covers foraging/refining/crafting), player shops/trading, mail system, ingame video recording, and some others that pretty much every MMO has.
- Almost everything in the game is elegantly done - It'll seem overwhelming at first (there is a LOT of stuff!), but you'll get used to it. Almost all the UIs seem very intuitive and well thought-up.
- VERY FEW glitches - They're currently working out some text display glitches, but that's about the extent of what I've seen so far. The game is incredibly stable (I've had it running for 48+ hours constant without a single crash or disconnect).

Now, some things I don't really care for:
- Chat window - By default, it's too narrow, emoticons are utterly retarded, for some reason they have system messages show up in a permanent window on top of the chat, and the max message length is incredibly short (it's hard to properly ask a question without reaching the max message size). It's serviceable though, and hopefully they'll improve it as the game is still in beta and looking incredibly good otherwise, so far.
- Small inventory without spending cash - It's possible to get by without a dime but every day I am tempted to spend $15 on the CS to expand my inventory and some other stuff (FYI: You can buy almost anything in the cash shop from other players ingame using the game currency, including inventory upgrades).

That's it for negatives really. I'm sure there are some less major things I can't think of atm, but they're not gamebreaking (or else they'd always be on my mind). I'm also sure there are some nice features I've left out that this MMO has when others don't.

Overall, I love the game.. and so do my friends - even the ones that love to hate the game the rest of us are currently playing! At the very least, give it a try - the download is only 1GB.

Now, for the part I feel somewhat bad about doing - referral. Let me start off by saying that this helps you a lot more than it helps me. The only way I get any sort of reward is if you're level 45+ and you buy items from the cash shop. You, on the other hand, will get tons of help with items you normally wouldn't get without a referral code as you create a new character. I literally remade my character (well, started fresh) with my friend's induction code after I found out how much benefit & special items you get from putting in a referral code. Some of the things you'll get: an entire set of lv1 special gear that makes your first 20+ levels much easier, two sets of "Fashion" clothes (to change your appearance - one at lv1 and the second at level 20 I think), quests that give you major exp, and a whole lot more (anything else I say would be guesswork - I don't remember exactly what I got, I just know that it made my leveling a LOT easier and I got a ton of stuff I didn't have before).

Anyway, it's your choice! If you're interested - enter my induction ID as you're creating your character (copy/paste): 3200148G020007034004540Sefb1fa ...if not, you're missing out on a lot of great stuff.
I play on the EUROPE (Gemini) server as Niles - feel free to PM me if you have any questions (trust me, you will).. however, I may not respond if I'm afk-foraging or anything

Here's a nice site that covers pretty much all things BoI that you can read up as you're downloading, or to get a better idea of what the game is like: http://boinova.info/ ...you can get the game HERE: http://boi.perfectworld.com/

TL;DR - Battle of Immortals is a great new MMORPG. Download it now!
PS: Please forgive any spelling/grammar errors. I looked this over a bit but I've been up for 24 hours.
exeker is offline   Reply With Quote