WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
turix
Initiate

turix is unknown at this point
Premium speed issues.

Hi,

Untill recently i was using the Premium CDN to download files, as this mirror supported the use of download accelerators, the other 3 mirrors simply time out about 60% through the file. But with the demise of that, see my post in a previous thread, i have found it very difficult to get any kind of worthy speed off your premium mirrors.

To put this is perspective, before using Downloadthemall! on 10 connections, i would be able to get between 1.8-2.4Mb/s off the CDN. Now off a single connection to the standard premium mirrors i get at most 300kb/s off the European ones, and 150kb/s off the US one. Whereas in comparison to that, i get 500-600Kb/s using the filefront mirrors most authors provide.

Edit: I previous was able to get 0.8-1.2Mb/s off a single connection to UK or NL mirrors, but this has recently dropped off.

As for Geography etc, i live in Shropshire, England and my ISP is Virgin Media (Sucks ) using the 20Mb Cable package. Now these speed issues are the same for me no matter what time of the day give or take 50kb/s either way.

I am certain this is now a connection issue generally, as i am still able to max my connection to other servers - Limelight networks mirror's for example will max me on a single connection, or Usenet from Giganews will also max me.

I have done trace routes to all 3 premium mirrors, along with warcraftmovies itself and the base of wcmprem.com - all of which return no abnormal times or timeouts - all of the trace routes attached.

So thats my problem, now i saw posted in a thread a while back that you we're going to look into another method of supporting the use of Download Accelerators, just curious if this is still in the works.

Below is theorycrafting, proof of concept etc etc - not directly relevant to the issue - Idea:

As for speed in general, as i mentioned above my connection max's out on my usenet provider (Both my ISP's own usenet [Highwinds] and the premium provider i use [Giganews]). And from very vague research it seems people i speak too find the same thing, that if they do use a premium usenet they generally max their lines, and the same is true on some ISP servers aswell. While Free servers offer speeds about equal to free HTTP mirroring services.

Now my point, i have been working on a method for automating Usenet posting based on a single input (Currently a remote URL), this is being hamprered somewhat by my limited knowledge of Perl (I've got a Bash script that does the work, and i've got a roadmap for the 'frontend' in php which recives the input and does calculations for filesize, etc - but i dont know any perl, making passing the commands from php to shell rather awkward). But this is a work in progress and the Bash script is able to Download, Rar, Par and Upload the file to a selected Group, and then saves the NZB file to a selected Folder - which can then be provided for HTTP download.

Now on my dedi, which frankly sucks (2x Opteron 248 2Gb ram 2x 160Gb Sata Raid 1 on a 100Mb link), depending almost entirly on how much redundancy i set for Par2 it can Process a 500Mb video from a Remote server in between 5-15min, most of which is the Download of the file, which would be negated if the file was on an internal network.

So the idea is that as new videos are accepted they can be uploaded to Usenet and the NZB file can be offer to users in the same way that Torrent files are now.

The above is currently a big work in progress and as such it would need a considerable amount of work to deploy in any kind of production environment , but i consider it a proof of concept more than anything else. If your interested feel i can PM you the Programs and Scripts in their current state. If not, oh well i was bored

Thanks

/Turix
Attached Files
File Type: txt WCM-Trace.txt (1.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: txt WCMPrem-Trace.txt (2.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: txt US-Trace.txt (1.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: txt UK-Trace.txt (1.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt NL-Trace.txt (1.5 KB, 0 views)
turix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
baloo

baloo is unknown at this point
Thank you for the detailed post!

The method of how the files are downloaded was indeed changed, but didn't fix the download managers.
We will work it out to make it run on them as well, probably this week