WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > World of Warcraft > General Discussion
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
RopeDrink

RopeDrink is an unknown quantity at this point
Pro-Game-Guides?

Hey folks - First of all, I'm not a bot and it's not spam...

However I got a mail on YouTube from a viewer requesting a song used in one of my movies which he linked, so I hop on over and give him the answer... Then I notice said movie isn't even under my list (Not uploaded by me) but someone else, despite it being my own movie.

It was too long for YouTube (15mins) hence it was exclusive to WCM, and the person who uploaded it calls themselves ProGame-Guides and is offering (Very dodgy looking) levelling/gold guides on a WoW Orientated website they have linked in every one of those movies and their channel - You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wowprogameguides

Problem is it's not just MY movie, they seem to have uploaded SEVERAL popular movies FROM WCM originally from other authors - I wanted to highlight this because a) They don't have permission to do this (by me/authors and likely not WCM) and b) If they are indeed any form of WoW Hacks, keyloggers or dodgy websites then people may not appreciate being lured to them by WCM movies that the YouTube account holder doesn't own.

Can someone look into this and give a bit more information about it?

I'm not too sure what to think.
RopeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
RopeDrink

Come on, surely someone has something to say about this?

The channel is getting throngs of subscribers from people who don't even seem to understand that the channel doesn't own, or have anything to do, with the movies it's uploading (from tonnes of authors on WCM) and if those links are dangerous then authors on WCM may be the ones targetted by disgruntled people who felt 'lured' to those links by you.

Either that or I'm over-reacting and this ProGameGuides crap is actually ok, though I highly doubt it. Either way some input would be appreciated as I really don't know what to think of this at all.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
ThatNewDude
Initiate

ThatNewDude is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you talked to youtube about it? Just tell them what you write here.
ThatNewDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
RopeDrink

This is part of the reason why I wanted to ask here, first... I mean, granted, the person(s) in question are uploading footage made by other people and tacking on possible keylogging material or guides but at the end of the day, if I went to YouTube and asked the same thing, who's to say they won't particularly care because I don't 'officially' own the material on show...

Sure, I made one of the many movies this person is using, but every movie (regardless of author) is gameplay of WoW of which none of us own, if you get my drift.

I suppose it'd be no harm in asking but still - I was expecting this thread would get some kind of response seeing as it's not just one of my movies they are using, but COUNTLESS movies from many MANY authors who've submitted their work to WCM - This person (or person[s]) are taking those movies, re-uploading them under their own account, and using them to get subscribers and pimp their guides of which, as said, could possibly be keyloggers/dodgy - No credit is given to any of the original authors whatsoever and the moment I was pointed in that YouTube channel direction it rang immediate alarm bells, not just for myself, but for all the authors of whom this person is taking from.