WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Advize
Initiate

Advize is unknown at this point
Fraps Resolution Problem

My current in game screen resolution is 1400x1050 (19" LCD non-widescreen monitor) and when recording with fraps at half size, instead of getting a 700x525 video, I get 696x524. This cuts out 4 pixels on the right side of the screen, and 1 pixel from the bottom.

How can I fix this?

Changing my ingame screen resolution is out of the question because it makes fonts and all images blurry, even with other 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions.

Edit: I forgot to mention that changing the ui scale also does not help, it simply changes the size of the STILL blurred images/fonts.

Last edited by Advize : 04-06-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Advize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Terwilliger

Terwilliger is unknown at this point
Why not just change to Full Size?

Otherwise you have no choice to change your resolution...

Also, are you running windowed mode or full screen?

It takes years to build trust, and just seconds to destroy it.
Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Btcc22
Hall of Fame member

Btcc22 is unknown at this point
"Changing my ingame screen resolution is out of the question because it makes fonts and all images blurry"

This is because you're running a resolution that's not your native flat screen resolution (yeah, flat screens can suck). The video that's recorded though will not have any problems.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Advize
Initiate

Advize is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwilliger View Post
Why not just change to Full Size?

Otherwise you have no choice to change your resolution...

Also, are you running windowed mode or full screen?
I am running it in full screen. A resolution of 1400x1050 exceeds the maximum full size resolution of fraps without a dual core cpu and it still records at 696x524.
Advize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
Terwilliger

Well record set your WoW res to 1152x864, as Btcc22 said, it wont affect your footage. Sometimes to get the good footage, you have to play under some pretty blurry conditions!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Malgaunt
Initiate

Malgaunt is unknown at this point
Instead of starting a new topic I figured I'd just tack on my own fraps related problem here.

I'm actually using model viewer and using fraps to record (yes, I'll admit I just watched fony's video ) and whenever I do the resultant fraps recording looks bad. It's not recording a very nice image, it's coming out at a lower quality it seems like because the video is granulated, blocky or chunky, especially noticeable around the edges.

When I throw it into my editor to chroma key it, I get a residual halo (blue in this case) around the character I was frapsing. I've tried every conceivable canvas size and adjusting my screen's resolution (running at 1680x1050 right now and kicked it down to some various lower resolutions) but I don't think that's exactly the problem. I'm wondering if there's an option or setting that I need to toy with to get better quality out of the recording.
Malgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
Terwilliger

Change the canvas size to 1152x864 or something of the sort?

Old 04-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advize View Post
My current in game screen resolution is 1400x1050 (19" LCD non-widescreen monitor) and when recording with fraps at half size, instead of getting a 700x525 video, I get 696x524. This cuts out 4 pixels on the right side of the screen, and 1 pixel from the bottom.

How can I fix this?

Changing my ingame screen resolution is out of the question because it makes fonts and all images blurry, even with other 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions.

Edit: I forgot to mention that changing the ui scale also does not help, it simply changes the size of the STILL blurred images/fonts.
The fraps codec (like most other codecs) requires height and width values that are divisible by 8, thus it downsizes the video to comply with that.

As for the Model Viewer problem, try pushing the small arrow in the chroma keyer setting window so it points backwards instead of forward. This causes the chroma key to be applied before any resizing of the footage happens, and should help if you get halos.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote