WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
Overki1l
Initiate

Overki1l is unknown at this point
Help my FPS!

Hi, I'm new to the forums and video capturing both. I'm sure this is a question often asked, but I can't seem to fix my problem.

Basically my problem is my FPS dropping to about 3 when I start recording video.

I do have an older system, but I would think I have the power to get a little better than that. Let me list my setup and maybe someone can tell me where the weak link is.

Running a Pentium 4 /w HT
3.0GhZ / 800Ghz Bus
2Gb DDR RAM
XP sp2
GeForce 6200 PCI 256Mb Vram
180GB@7200rpm SCSI Primary HDD
500GB@7200rpm SATA HDD /w 16Mb buffer secondary HDD

I am capturing using Camtasia Studio 5 professional version ($300)
I am pumping the stream straight to my secondary completely blank 500Gb
I am running WoW windowed mode, video settings turned down
Capturing video locked onto the application window only@15FPS setting.
I close out all unnecessary processes and applications.
I use Mazzle UI at ~40Mb
I've Updated my drivers
edit: I'm also letting the stream flow uncompressed in AVI so I know it's not eating up CPU compressing on the fly.

The only thing I can figure is my PCI video card just can't keep up? My mobo only supported ATA until I installed an SATA/RAID PCI controller. I don't know if that still treats my second drive as PATA or not, but I wouldn't think so?

Like I said, I'm completely new to movie making so if my system just doesn't cut it let me know. I don't expect to be capturing full screen video max settings but I thought I could at least handle a 640x480 window. I have Adobe Master Collection ready to start playing with but I can't even get past the first step! Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Overki1l : 04-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Overki1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
kiahann

kiahann is notable
I've never personally used Camtasia Studio 5 and I don't know how it works really but the only spec i see that's a problem is your video card but your CPU is completely fine even if it's single core.

My computer is not even as good as yours except for having a 8500gt and mine works fine.

the only really advice i would have is either upgrade your video card or download fraps trial www.fraps.com and try to see if you get the same problem with that program. If you do I would suggest upgrading your video card.

Last edited by kiahann : 04-28-2008 at 03:30 PM.
kiahann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Overki1l
Initiate

I'm afraid that is the one thing I can't help. I may be out of luck with this computer. My mobo is pretty old and doesn't have either AGP or PCI-e slot to get the good video cards. I had thought my Geforce 6200 OC is one of the top PCI cards. If anyone knows of a better one please tell. I'll be sure to see how Fraps works out for me.

Thanks for the reply!

edit: Okay I thought your 8500 was PCI-e but then I found this.
http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/SP85_...3_PCI_EN1.html

With that I have a few questions. I am running Direct X9 So should I go with the 7300 or could I get the 8500 and it would come with direct X10 to upgrade? Also would these cards give me the power I need? The 7300 doesn't seem like a huge upgrade to mine. But I do like what I see in the 8500. You can see the specs they have, let me list what mine has.

256Mb DDR Ram
AGP 2.0 Interface
375MHz core clock; dual 400MHz RAMDACs
Supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0 with Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL for Microsoft Windows
NVIDIA CineFX 3.0 engine
NVIDIA UltraShadow II technology
NVIDIA Intellisample 3.0 antialiasing
VGA, DVI and S-video outputs; DVI-I to VGA connector included

I'm thinking grab an 8500 unless anyone knows of a better PCI card. I see all these sites telling about them introducing the PCI cards but all I see for sale are the PCI-e versions. Help!

Last edited by Overki1l : 04-28-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Overki1l
Initiate

Okay nevermind, I'm pretty sure I know what my problem is.

One thing I knew but had forgotten was that standard PCI ports all share the same bandwidth. My SATA controller and 2nd hard drive are sharing resources with my video card. Trying to process the graphics, record those graphics and write such huge amounts of data all at once on one parallel stream I'm guessing is causing a bottleneck in the data flow. That is the only thing I can figure that would be decreasing my performance. Does that sound reasonable to anyone else?

Time to just get a new mobo or break down and build a new computer. Geforce 8800GTS have really come down in price. Throw two of those bad boys in a new system linked with SLI and about 4 gigs of DDR3- That oughtta solve the problem. =)

Last edited by Overki1l : 05-02-2008 at 10:50 AM.