WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
I pressed the "I QUIT" Button...

I'm done.... with making movies. The extreme under appreciation and low ratings I receive just because my videos don't have 12 weeks of editing put into them, has driven me to this. I released several pvp movies since I started playing wow, not to be the best, but to learn about what people like to see and what they don't. I read, and took in every comment I received from every one of those movies, and made one more movie in an attempt to really try my best and give it my all.

Well, Giving it my all got me an Avg. Rating of 3.50, and some extremely nasty comments. So I'm done, at least for now. I can't bring myself to make anything else anymore. I spent hours everyday getting footage. I had over 700GB worth of footage recorded. And I removed almost all the 1v1 fights, and tried to keep it just 1v2, 1v3, arena, and my best duels... and I get told I suck, have no skill, and was only fighting people who had no resilience. Yet I have absolutely no resilience myself....

I've talked to a lot of movie creators, and watched almost every single mage pvp video on the site.... and I really just don't understand it. Mages run around with crap videos, no editing and songs everyone's heard a million times. They have the most confusing talent trees that make no sense for any purpose, and they go and kill stuff with horrible skill and reaction time. Yet why do they get high ratings? I finally know now, its because they all have the one thing I do not. They have Extreme Editing. The top mages with the top rated videos.. their videos are just editing tricks, they actually arn't that great, but people get all amazed and dazzled because they see all this 'cool editing' that just throws them off into a spiral of amazement, how can they not rate 5? ""That video just looked too cool and fun, why wouldn't I rate it 5!"" Most people are so blindsided by the special effects of the movies, they don't realize what skill is anymore.

I do apologize for those of you reading this that actually do know skill, and think I'm nuts. You people are the only reason I kept at it this long. I appreciate your eye for the real skills of us mages out there.

===============================

I know I have skill, I'm done trying to prove it to the community. If anyone cares to help me improve, go watch my latest "Mage Style" Video and tell me exactly what you think I did wrong. I'll ignore any posts about my skill sucking, just because they didn't like my play style. I get up in peoples faces in pvp because it works. It intimidates the person I'm fighting to be up in there face, and among many other things, my style of fighting is very successful. People may not like it, they may think it sucks, they may think it looks stupid, but it works and it works well.

To those who care: Please watch the video and tell me what you think honestly, what did I do so wrong that I had to get such comments.

To those who don't care: Don't bother posting, I'm done, you can go on your way and continue watching whatever movies you want from those people you think have skills. Go watch your movies from your other famous authors who get high ratings even before their movies get watched... just because their famous from one video they did successfuly somehow.

That was my little complaint speech, if you read the whole thing weither you like me or not, thanks for your time. I'll continue to come here and watch movies, that will never change. But I don't think I'll be submitting anything again for a long...long time.. if ever again.

I've been playing my mage for the better part of two and a half years. I could farm, pvp, fight, do anything in my sleep. I know the talents and skills like the back of my hand.

Fraps is now uninstalled.

-------------------------------------------

Thanks to those who supported me. I really appreciate it in so many ways.
To those who didn't - I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my videos. Best of luck anyways.

- Yours Truely, Vandalist, Venorize, and the creator of the world noone seems to understand.

Best of luck to you all, may your days of farming not rain and lag you.
Vandalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
You're right. The rating system is borked and it probably wont change.

Some movies automatically get 5's because theyre sequels to previously successful/popular movies, while I believe this behaviour should be punishable it really isn't possible to moderate all the ratings being made every day.

Sad to hear you're quitting, best of luck in the future with whatever you do. (probably kicking ass on that mage? )
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
teh_taco
Hall of Fame member

teh_taco is unknown at this point
why even care about ratings..

my opinion on "skill" is: it barely exists in wow anyways (why talking about skill in a game, where you can dodge, resist, miss etc?) so I just make movies I would enjoy watching no matter what class I play or whatever - ok probably some of them are just overedited, but who cares as long as I learn stuff while doing them and some people even enjoy watching them?

it shouldn't be all about download rates and average ratings.. sure it's nice to get some recognition and feedback, but if this is your single goal on doing movies, it ends up being more "work" than "fun" and the last thing I want to feel is any kind of pressure while doing this stuff as a hobby.
teh_taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_taco View Post
why even care about ratings..

my opinion on "skill" is: it barely exists in wow anyways (why talking about skill in a game, where you can dodge, resist, miss etc?) so I just make movies I would enjoy watching no matter what class I play or whatever - ok probably some of them are just overedited, but who cares as long as I learn stuff while doing them and some people even enjoy watching them?

it shouldn't be all about download rates and average ratings.. sure it's nice to get some recognition and feedback, but if this is your single goal on doing movies, it ends up being more "work" than "fun" and the last thing I want to feel is any kind of pressure while doing this stuff as a hobby.
Well said.

I liked taco 7, "go shopping" heheh
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 AM   #5
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
taco... yea the day i posted this i was just so pissed...

but i think i finally thiought up something

a video idea that not even the biggest censored can say "i have no skill to"...

a pvp video in which is so unique, its never been done (and if it has, its not on this site)

Last edited by Valamir : 07-28-2007 at 06:05 AM. Reason: No cussing please.
Vandalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Punchline

Punchline is notable
That's too bad.

I wish that you had to be with WCM for like 2 months or have done a certain amount of stuff on the site before you could rate movies.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Baeras
Initiate

Baeras is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally i dont care about rating people are idiots id rather see a good player then great editing
Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
Rothicol
Hall of Fame member

Rothicol is unknown at this point
I know how to feel Vandalist.

I just finished my latest movie, which I, myself, thought was a great movie - before I went on a 14 days holiday away from computers.

I uploaded it the day before my take-off and sees a recommended star and think "Ah, I finally made something people like - This is my debut"

Now, 14 days later, I come back and see an average rating of 3.7, a few "I didn't like it, u will get ze 1.0 rating" and my recommended star gone.

That is a bit sad and takes away my motivation to make more movies. :/

Feel free to watch it if you like: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=43619
Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Baeras
Initiate

Baeras is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothicol View Post
I know how to feel Vandalist.

I just finished my latest movie, which I, myself, thought was a great movie - before I went on a 14 days holiday away from computers.

I uploaded it the day before my take-off and sees a recommended star and think "Ah, I finally made something people like - This is my debut"

Now, 14 days later, I come back and see an average rating of 3.7, a few "I didn't like it, u will get ze 1.0 rating" and my recommended star gone.

That is a bit sad and takes away my motivation to make more movies. :/

Feel free to watch it if you like: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=43619
I liked it i thought it was funny and shows how about half the people in wow actually talk because there to damn lazy to type out full words that are easy to type which pretty much includes myself
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #10
DlouBent

DlouBent is unknown at this point
Im sad to hear that Vandalist.
Your movies pwns really, i totally agree with you on those ratings
DlouBent is offline   Reply With Quote