WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > World of Warcraft > PvP
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #31
erians
Initiate

erians is unknown at this point
listu!

Well first off a lot of you seems to think that there's a "correct" defenition of a skilled player.... its all about opinions. There's no true or false defention of a skilled player, what one person believe is skill another person believe is "noobish". When I judge a players skill i use a few criteria:

1. Being able to recover from mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes, even tho some makes them more than others. Being able to do mistakes, screw up, and still win the fight by making up for the mistake is skill.

2. Take advantage of others mistakes. Spoting mistakes and take advantage of them to the highest degree possible.

3. Know the game. Not only do you need to know your own class to a decent level, but you also need to know every other class, what their strategys are vs ur class so you can avoid them, what strategys to use vs their class to gain an advantage and know what skills they use so ur able to predict their movements.

4. Reflexes and speed. Good reflexes are required for most classes, especially when it comes to abrupting spell casting or making sure you face the right direction. You also have to be able to think fast to be able to react to different moves/skills/strategys ur opponent uses.

5. Never overkilling. You have to know when CDs/items are needed and when they're not, theres no point in Cold Blood eviscerating with 5 CBs on a player with 5% hp or using powerful CDs vs Classes your class is supposed to beat (assuming there's no gear difference).

6. Gimp yourself! Using alternative builds mainly used for PvE or mainly not used at all (offensive holy priests, pre mage-patch elemental mages, protection warriors etc.) and still do well in PvP. This shows that the player can handle gimped speccs and talent disadvantages, even tho it can be really boring to watch scince they tend to to rather low dps which means long fights (restro druids/shams, healadins, holy priests).

7. Overcoming class disadvantages. Being able to beat classes that is supposed to beat you (Warriors beating mages, rogues beating warriors w/o evasion, mages beating SL locks etc) without gear advantage.

1vsX usually is a pretty good display of skills but different classes have different conditions skill-wise, lots of AoE and crowd controll makes 1vX ez, no AoE and no CC makes 1vX hard as hell. Most 1vX scenes are a well geared player vs X crap geared, or 1 decent player vs X unpreapered muppets who just panics. Imo skill, for most classes, isnt all the important when it comes to pvp. When it comes to Gear, Lagg, Luck etc, a small difference can settle a fight, that 1% xtra dodge can save ur ass, that 200 xtra hp can make you go out of a fight as victor, 3 criting WF procs or a wild 10+ criting spree makes you unstoppable. When it comes to skill there needs to be a rather large difference to decide a battle, as long as both player knows what they are doing and have a decent character controll the fight will be decided by other factors. Ofc some classes are pretty ez mode, while others need to be played well to be good in PvP, but in the long run skill won't win you most of the fights, your class, luck and gear will.
erians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #32
suzu
Initiate

suzu is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend is skilled

seriously guys, you think Grim is skilled? you think Niar is skilled?

Well I don't think making huge text will convince you at contrary so just watch this because a video will be worth more then a hundred posts

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=32898

-player in blues and greens beating guys in full tier 1, 2 and some fights with 2.5
suzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #33
pwn
Initiate

pwn is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoguy View Post
I think your right about rogues, im a Druid, and if a rogue can keep me stunlocked to where i cant Instant Heal, i consider him a good rogue.

Personally to stand out you need to be the best at what you do, like running the flag
Further more on the topic of rogues, not only with there "Gouge", never heard of stunlock, they also have the abiltiy of kick wich can prove very useful against preist, mages, anyone that can cast. People tend to use rogues and personally i like them, and i have to agree with the first post. If you play World of Warcraft try making a couple of charecters on Mug'Thul and look for a guild named "UF National Champs" They are an all twink guild that is, to me, the best BG guild to roll with.

Last edited by pwn : 01-16-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: misspelling
pwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:31 AM   #34
Razael
Initiate

Razael is unknown at this point
Learn your class. As well as ALL the others. Seriously. Do some research and practice, practice, practice. Even if it means, respeccing 10 times. I will farm the gold myself and respec each build combination I possibly can come up with to figure out:

(1) What I can use for my benefit.
(2) What the enemy uses against me.

Do some math on talent calculators for each class. See what they can do and learn how to counter it. Seriously, some time and effort spent in studying classes as well as your own, will pay off in the long run. Be original but sensible.
Razael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 AM   #35
Fwar
Initiate

Fwar is unknown at this point
Timing.
Awareness.
Planning. (Anticipate your opponents next move)
Rapidity.
Experience.
Not hesitant.
Fwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #36
godliest

godliest is notable
Crits, killing nubs with epic gear while ur blue geared. Editing. Hide when u pot, and remember to spam bombs.

Albert Einstein Quotes
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
godliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #37
Razael
Initiate

Razael is unknown at this point
lol

"Hide when you pot" lol Don't pot. Pots are nice IF used reasonable. Never go into battlegrounds with the expectations of surviving because of your potions. 1) They suck. 2) They have cooldowns...(2-2.5 minutes sucks in pvp) PvP is based on pure skill and the ability to play your class with all of its innate skills to the greatest extent. Some suck. Some pwn. Its all up to you how much you want to pwn. Do some research. My suggestion, like I stated before, is Talent Calculators. Read up on all the classes and right down some information. Trust me, it is well worth it.

Last edited by Razael : 03-03-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: errors in grammar
Razael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #38
datwuzzfresh
Initiate

datwuzzfresh is an unknown quantity at this point
good reflexes
good ping
know when to use cds
know how to counter your opponents spells
datwuzzfresh is offline   Reply With Quote