View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nf67 View Post
To find a codec, do I have to search the Nikon site or the Vegas site?
My computers always had a MJPEG codec installed by default, i can play the movies my camera makes in media player or winamp for example.

Quote:
Are codecs totally custom or are there types of codecs ( just as for movies, wmv for example )?

Codecs are drivers, of sorts. Codec is short for COmpression DECompression - the typical codec does both, while some only offer decompression. Xvid creates a video stream that can be decompressed again with xvid.

Quote:
Is a codec a file or some kind of program?

Usually codecs come with an installer, and after installation they should work rather silently.

Quote:
If I find a codec, how can I let Vegas use it?
Good question. Vegas sucks at figuring out what codecs your system has installed. Doesn't exactly cater to everyones needs. It cannot read xvid for example, but this is as far as I know due to a error in xvids VFW part so it doesn't register correctly as a codec and yeah. Winamp, media player, etc, use directshow instead of VFW so it works well there.

You could try this: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/articleview.php?id=45

Should work for MJPEG as well as xvid. It's a damned stupid solution, but it's the only way I know to get Vegas to cooperate. Sorry
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote