View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Abyzz
Initiate

Abyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd tend to keep Leeroy out of the equation - what happened back then was a cyber-cult based on nothing apparent save perhaps the lack of a word for that action. And one must admit, a "Leeroy" is quite well elaborated at this point.

The BS movie genre I actually find quite easy to rate. The only difference is that the content usually doesn't follow any logical story-line, and that mostly there's no 'message' embedded in it. A/V quality is usually high, as is editing, and creativity and content depends on whether or not the movie succeeds at combining these aspects well. "The Device Has Been Modified" that I linked to brought something new to WCM through its funny time-line at the intro as well as the combination of Portal and WoW, which made it - to me - a very creative piece of work, while the content actually summarized the entire Portal game in a meaningful yet different way.

The arena section which, precisely as you say is 99% of all movies, is where I start pulling my hair out. Partly because any attempt of fair rating is blown to pieces, and partly because most of the submitted movies are so unbelievably unoriginal that I find I have to strap myself onto the chair not to bang my head against the wall repeatedly.

What's needed right now is more story-telling in the PvP segment. Add some of the Tales of the Past goodness to an arena movie and make it more than just a number's game of mana and insignia's.
Abyzz is offline   Reply With Quote