WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Discussion - NEW
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Arikara
Initiate

Arikara is unknown at this point
Just starting out

As some of you may observe, this is my first post, and it is about my first video. I am making this video for a school project, and have a year to create it. First thing I want to know is where to start. I have the concept, but that might as well be a blunt claymore against ragnaros, because I don't know the tools and devices I need. What software should I use, where should I buy/download it, and what would the cost be?

The video concept will be posted later.
Arikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Macky
Initiate

Macky is an unknown quantity at this point
Other than the basics that's a pretty `how long is a piece of string' question
But lets see how we go...

Story:
Concepts etc
Script

StoryBoarding:
Rough thumbnails etc (or proper boards if ya good at drawing) of ya storyline
Using this stage to work out camera angles, etc and toss out ideas that don't work etc
(Photoshop or Alias SketchBook Pro are handy here)

Animatic:
Taking the stills from the board and any voice etc you might have, put those into an editing package and cut it to length
This stage is used to check timings / pacings, rough out some DVE's (digital video effects) of camera moves (simple stuff like zooms etc are easy to do at this stage)
Check out how the voices etc are working together etc
It's a rough edit of the film
(Sound recording software of somekind, Avid, Premiere, FinalCut, Aftereffects, Vegas, etc etc all handy here)
Production / Filming
Get stuck in filming it all
(Fraps for ingame stuff, Wow ModelViewer, WowMapViewer all handy here)

Editing:
Editing / Comp laying the final edits etc down
Sound mixes etc
(Avid, Premiere, FinalCut, Aftereffects, Vegas, etc etc all handy here)

Doom9.org is a great place for helping out with conversions and compressions etc

Anyway this is a quicky over view you can skip any steps ya comfortable skipping etc I'm at work and shouldn't do a 3hr reply
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Arikara
Initiate

Arikara is unknown at this point
The good part is: I don't have to deal with the issue of voice-acting, as the video will involve music. The song is Turning Away by Dougie MacLean, the lyrics of which can be viewed here and the concept is the history of the blood elves. I intend to take it from the discovery of the well of eternity to the sunwell to the summoning of Kil'jaiden.

As the song is only a few minutes long, the whole thing will be fairl short, but I know that the actual development process will take far longer. I am starting out with no experience, little understanding, and no equipment, so layman's terms are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the advice Macky, but for now, just act like I've died against hogger too many times or I'm leveling my mage's sword skill, or even asking where Mankirk's wife is.

Last edited by Arikara : 04-17-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Arikara is offline   Reply With Quote