WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Slade8
Initiate

Slade8 is unknown at this point
Adding graphics into movies

I'm looking to make some movie guides on boss encounters. I'm trying to find an easy way to add things like arrows or highlighting certain areas (like a semi transparent circle). I've done a lot of searching regarding this and haven't really found much.

What I am currently doing is taking a single frame from an AVI file and editing that and then inserting it into my movie and extending the duration. This doesn't seem like the best solution and I am wondering if there is a better way to essentially draw on movies.
Slade8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Ceejay9
Initiate

Ceejay9 is unknown at this point
Well, without knowing what editing program you are using, I will answer with how you can do it in Vegas.

There are actually multiple ways to do it, and probably easier then the way you are asking, but I will answer the way you are asking for in case it's intentional.

Just open up your favorite art program, and just set the background to either pure blue or green, and then draw your arrow or circle. Now you can save it as a jpeg and open it in vegas.

Place it into a video track above the footage you want to use it on, and chroma key out the blue/green that you used. Now you simply have an arrow you can move around the screen, and resize and turn using the pan/crop window.

You can also create the same sort of effect using a solid background using a mask, and letting only the area you want seen show through the mask.

EDIT- Also, as a note, if you want the video to stop or slow down, like the process you are using now with a single frame extended, you are basically going to have to do what you are doing anyway unless your regular footage is long enough for people to take in the notes for effect.

Last edited by Ceejay9 : 12-31-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Ceejay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Use PNG24 instead with transparent bg, doesn't give you the halo that colorscreening does (but whatever works)
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote