WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
Hosting Your Movie : Website Guide (Updated Apr 2, 09)

Ok so you just made the greatest movie the world will ever know of. Your going to outdo leroy himself! But where to host it? Well let me help you out. Heres some websites that are useful, with some ratings and information.

Google Video (http://video.google.com) *Live Stream*
File Limit: *Unlimited*
Signup Required: Yes
Up Side: Another popular one, and it's a Live Stream, great so your viewers don't have to spend time downloading. It's got a FANTASTIC way of uploading, via an uploader program on your computer. You just load the program, select the movie, and it uploads without having an annoying browser open. Uses virtually no resources either.
Down Side: (a) you have to signup and (b) you have to download the uploader_program. I't worth it in my opinion, but many people don't like going through the hastle of having an account for the upload website. Also, (c) To make videos load faster and cut down on google's file space, your movies get reduced in graphical quality by about 20%. The movie is still viewable and looks great... However, some text and small objects can become blurred and hard to read or see properly. Because of this, downloading a movie is always recommended, although streams are always preferred by the viewers.
Rating: ***** (4.8 Stars)

Filefront (http://www.filefront.com) *Live Stream Optional*
File Limit: 1 GB
Signup Required: Nope!
Up Side: Fantastic and dependable host. If you signup, they keep track of your files, and almost all movies that are compressed right get free streaming. You can host any files, not just movies. Recommended for a download/stream host.
Down Side: Uploaded movies and files can be deleted if they are not downloaded at all in a month's time. If you have an account with filefront, you get an email about it along with the option to "Not Delete" the file... which is really an upside actually.
Rating: ****' (4.8 Stars)

NoobFlicks (http://www.noobflicks.com) *Live Stream*
Up Side: So far the site seem's fairly fast for browsing and downloading. Uploading was average and as expected. Overall nice site, few people using it and that keeps load times low and painless.
Down Side: So far it seems like a small site, so it's really just decent as a host for videos you post here, not getting exposure there as well. Also being a small site, we don't know how they will cope with the future growth of their company if they expand. Time will tell.
Rating: ****' (4.5 Stars)

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com) *Live Stream*
File Limit: 100 MB
Up Side: Another live stream, better streaming quality than google by far, great for small videos. Fantastic streaming.
Down Side: Notice I said "great for SMALL videos". Thats the big downside, only 100MB limit, and you have to have an account on youtube to be able to upload.
Rating: **** (4 Stars)

Rapidshare (com) (http://www.rapidshare.com) *Not to be confused with rapidshare.de*
File Limit: 100 MB
Up Side: Nice uploader, quick, very easy, and not the best download speeds in my opinion... Note: There is an optional paying service with rapidshare which gives you Fantastic upload and download speeds without any wait.
Down Side: ...100mb file size, your not going to get very many wow movies on there. So if its a small movie and your looking for an additional host, sure use it, but don't make it your main one. Also, if you don't have the paying service, you can't download more than one or two movies per hour from them.
Rating: *** (3 Stars)

MegaUpload (http://www.megaupload.com)
Up Side: A very user-friendly and fast site. You upload right from the front page, and it's upload speed was fairly good. The download speed was even better. You do not have to sign up to upload but there is benefits to getting a free membership, such as 200GB storage. From what I can tell, a fantastic site.
Down Side: If you do not have a membership, you must wait 45 seconds to download a file. If you have a free membership, you wait 25 seconds. Premium membership has no wait. Also, the premium membership page shows that your files get unlimited bandwidth, which leads me to believe your files can only exceed so many downloads a day, but that is just speculation, so until I actually see that happen I won't make a big deal of it.
Rating: ****' (4.5 Stars)

Abandoned Hosts
The following hosts have been shut down and are no longer hosting files.
This list is for reference only, and in case they one day return.

Mega-File (mega-file.net)
NOTICE: This website shut down without warning. It was probably due to financial reasons. This host is no longer available.

Free-File-Host (free-file-host.com)
NOTICE: This website shut down without warning. It was probably due to financial reasons. This host is no longer available.

File (SC) (file.sc)
NOTICE: Due to financial reasons, file.sc went out of business. They are not likely to make an appearance again.

Upcoming Reviews:
None at the moment...

Lastest Updates:
Apr 02, 09 Filefront's original owners have repurchased the company after learning that Ziff Davis Media was going to shut it down. Filefront is once again back online and fully operational. The origianl review has been updated and re-added to the list.
Mar 29, 09 MegaUpload Added
Mar 26, 09 Working on list updates as many sites on this list shut down this year. The economic crisis has caused a majority of free hosting sites to shutdown, and filefront being one of the biggest, is a real turn for the worst. I will be re-working this list over the next several weeks. Stay tuned!
Mar 26, 09 Filefront.com suspended operations due to economic conditions.
Dec 16, 07 Mega-File listing changed, Apparently they have since stopped hosting files.
Nov 10, 07 File.sc listing changed, File.sc has gone out of business.
Nov 10, 07 Google re-evaluated, details and rating changed.
Nov 10, 07 Filefront re-evaluated, details and rating changed.
Nov 7, 06 Free-File-Host: down side updated. Rating downgraded to 4.5 stars.

Last edited by Vandalist : 04-02-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Updating Information 4/2/09
Vandalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
lordrushx1

lordrushx1 is unknown at this point
That is totally cool of u to make a thread like this.
Much valuable info right there ! Thanks!
lordrushx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
The Bum

The Bum is unknown at this point
That is some very nice info
The Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
kiahann

kiahann is notable
Nice Guide It's Useful Sticked!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Kordanor
Initiate

Kordanor is unknown at this point
Aren't google videos automaticly downgraded in quality after you uploaded them?

Any special format recommanded to avoid it?
Kordanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
kiahann

kiahann is notable
you can't avoid Google's quality...It's just livestream so it's not as good as downloading.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Kordanor
Initiate

Ok. But in this case it's not really an advantage of google to be able to upload movies past 100 mb when they are downgraded to a smilar size to youtube-videos anyways (except of very long videos).
Kordanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
The reason google video runs well without problems is because they don't go full quality. They take your video, and re-encode the video coded and the sound codec into their codecs for a Flash document, so that it runs on their site a specific way (i could get into details but it would be a page post.)

Also if anyone finds any sites they would like added to the list or reviewed let me know.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
Kordanor
Initiate

Some words to free file host:

I just tested it and uploaded around 400 MB.

When it was reay nothing happened, no link was given. Probably my standard explorer settings do not work with this site.

Anyways, while trying around to get the link somehow of my uploaded file, I got following error message:

Your file has expired.
Unfortunately, your file has expired. A link is valid
for 30 days or when the uploader removes it, whichever occurs first.
Once the link expires, the file is deleted and
cannot be recovered.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #10
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
Kordanor, the 30 days thing I did not know about, I added it to my review, Thanks.

As for your upload not working, you need to make sure the upload page and the progress page are both open. When the progress page completes, it will update the upload-select page with your link. If either one is closed, the upload will fail.

Last edited by Vandalist : 11-08-2006 at 06:46 AM.