PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on my upcoming project

Zorubu
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Hello, and first off sorry if this is in the wrong forum ;) I'm quite new here.

I've been playing World of Warcraft since its release, plus some minor breaks, and I've always enjoyed watching Machinima movies that spurred up around this great game.
I'm a bit of an avid storyteller, but I don't really get any of my stories out of my head, so to speak, I enjoy creating fantasy universes with adventures and that sort, and I'm a big fan of various machinima videos such as "Return" and "Tales of the Past", which I have rewatched repeatedly to get those "golden nuggets of wisdom" :)

It is with big nervous steps that i place my feet in the machinima business, and as a debut, i've decided to make something short, but still good!
Many of you have maybe seen the movie "300" which told the story of 300 brave Spartan soldiers who fought to the end (yea yea i know the movie isn't historical accurate AT ALL, but I think it's still great). Many of you have maybe seen the machinimas that depicted "300" such as: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=37441
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=38377

I think these are great movies, but in my honest opinion they didn't really do the movie the justice it deserved (not being offensive or anything, just stating my opinion).

So my first Machima project will be an (hopefully succesful) attempt at creating a look-a-like of one of the 300 Trailers. I have basic experience in Adobe Premiere, and if I should need to edit anything in Photoshop, im pretty good at that, so no worries on that. I have some friends who are willing to help me with various things such as being actors and all that sort.

But my main concern, is the locations!
To me, locationing is one of the key points in making a machinima look believable and truly great.
As you may remember in the movie, the most of the movie centers around the Pass of Thermopylae, which is a narrow passage in Greece where the battle took place. Judging from the looks of it, there's not really many places in the ingame World that looks like anything close, so I'm going to have to be creative.
One of the places I've looked at, is the narrow passages between the areas in Blade's Edge Mountains. I would be thankfull if you guys here at the forums could come up with other suggestions regarding locationing and such, thanks in advance :)

I got the costumes and everything set up and good to go, and im currently looking for a tutorial on how to make a decent script for the movie, since it's based on the trailer, it will be rather short, which means that I won't have the luxury of slacking on certain scenes. At least that's my opinion, I'm a perfectionist at heart, and want my finished product to look as good as possible, even though it's my first project :P

I want to thank you, the reader, for looking through my post and reading it, since it may be a bit long, but i want to state my burning desire to do this, which hopefully came through while you read the text. And I also want to thank on whoever replies to the topic, so if you've read it and replied, there's two big thanks to you! Awesome :o