WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
MrWise

MrWise is unknown at this point
Over-sensitive comment censorship.

I'm getting increadibly tierd of writing out my honest and most of the time accurate opinions about movies and have them being reported and deleted no matter how constructive they've been simply because the comment didnt consist entierly of "Best movie I've ever seen 5/5/5/5".

You really need to tone down the sensitivity of some of the moderators for comments and ratings on peoples movies, maybe stop hireing people with the description "christian mother of 3" and then we might actually have ratings or comments that ACCURATLY REFLECT the movie presented.

You guys, I don't care if you like it or not, have become the dominant indexing service for WoW movies, with this comes a responsibility.

It's ridiculous, I could write 2-3 char capped comments explaining exactly why I rate it with a low rating and make it obvious to what people could do to get a higher rating from me- and have it deleted

While I could give a movie a 1/1/1/1 and write "didnt like it sry" like the VAST majority of everyone else on this website and not have it deleted no matter how many people report it.

People rating it low with an explanation is HARDLY any worse than people rating it 5/5/5/5 with no explanation what so ever.

I'm just getting increadibly tierd of actually spending time writing constructive criticism to have it removed. Please loosen that tight anus of yours just a little bit if you care at all about making your website MATTER at all.
MrWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Gedan

Gedan is unknown at this point
Comments and rating is actually something we are looking over - giving a constructive comment to bind with the rating of Content, Creativity Editing and A/V Qual is becoming too time-consuming with the globally accepted enervation of community-usage.. We are looking in to further separate discussion/rating around movies so people can say what they want if the can't be bothered to rate on a movie without getting censored too much and still keep the rating part with strong emphasis on "validated" ratings.

With that said we will continue to have a tight "anus" when users rate Authors work like this:

MrWise @ 2009-04-29 16:02:28

Rated: 1
Visit this user!
Fame: 55
I would relaly want to give this a higher rating, but you\'re just too bad and the people you\'re fighting are even worse, it sickens me to watch. Grats on quitting though I guess.

MrWise @ 2009-04-28 16:37:01

Visit this user!
I liked it

- As it stands we still want our members to think about the 4 variables if they have criticism to give an Author, so that other members can review before watching or the author can actually learn from the comments.

Last edited by Gedan : 04-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Gedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
MrWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedan View Post
Comments and rating is actually something we are looking over - giving a constructive comment to bind with the rating of Content, Creativity Editing and A/V Qual is becoming too time-consuming with the globally accepted enervation of community-usage.. We are looking in to further separate discussion/rating around movies so people can say what they want if the can't be bothered to rate on a movie without getting censored too much and still keep the rating part with strong emphasis on "validated" ratings.

With that said we will continue to have a tight "anus" when users rate Authors work like this:

MrWise @ 2009-04-29 16:02:28

Visit this user!
I would relaly want to give this a higher rating, but you\'re just too bad and the people you\'re fighting are even worse, it sickens me to watch. Grats on quitting though I guess.

MrWise @ 2009-04-28 16:37:01

Visit this user!
I liked it

- As it stands we still want our members to think about the 4 variables if they have criticism to give an Author, so that other members can review before watching or the author can actually learn from the comments.
This is the most recent comment after I've already said that I'm getting tierd of writing constructive criticism.

Please stop being bad.

If you really want to see your bullshit check logs back further a bit, I'm pretty sure you don't have to look that far to find perfectly acceptable comments removed for no reason other than bad judgement.

And even then, the comment you brought up is HARDLY bad enough to remove, from my comment the author learns that he must improve his gameplay and find stronger opponents otherwise he will not get a good reception from people who know anything about what they're talking about.

Examples of criticism that you COULD remove instead would be people rating a video 1 because of shit like "I don't like undead rogues" et.c, where you are RIGHT in that the author doesnt learn anything from it, but as I said before from the quote YOU chose (which was a pretty ignorant choice considering the circumstances) the author is given precise reasons for the rating in question, so that if he wants to get better ratings he knows exactly what to do differently in the future. Isnt this rather close to the definition for constructive criticism? Criticism that would most likely have a constructive outcome?

But if you're going to completely seperate ratings and comments and then lessen the censorship then that's fine by me, then you would have people who care about rating looking at the rating, and people who actually care about discussing the movie (which would obviously include both negative and positive views without biased censorship) read the user feedback.

Last edited by MrWise : 04-29-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Gedan

It's a fine line to be constructive and plain rude in a critique and I can understand that you get tired of writing something constructive if it ends up getting deleted by our moderators (who might think your comment was just plain rude).

People do have different ideas on what is rude and not, I apologies if our judgment has left you feeling steamrollered. We'll work on improving our judgment with the new upgraded rating-system coming out.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
MrWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedan View Post
It's a fine line to be constructive and plain rude in a critique and I can understand that you get tired of writing something constructive if it ends up getting deleted by our moderators (who might think your comment was just plain rude).

People do have different ideas on what is rude and not, I apologies if our judgment has left you feeling steamrollered. We'll work on improving our judgment with the new upgraded rating-system coming out.
I'm just saying I think it's almost an obligation to only use censorship as a last resort when you're hosting such a mainstream indexing service, since it wouldnt accuratly represent the content otherwise.

In the same way that, say, google has.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
First of : I am one of those raters, who try to give good reason for each rating, be it a top one or a low one. Only very few times I rated a movie 1 star all across the board, but I did rate quite a few movies with an average of lets say 2,5. I never got reported or deleted, only collected some "minus" clicks, all of them mostlikely by fanboys, who can't stand that their idol gets a less than 5 rating.

A good way to rise the survivability of your low rating is to present your critics in a positive way. I always keep in mind, that people did put work in the movie (well, most of them do) and just for this I give respect and try to encourage the people.

We have a proverb over here, that is best translated as : "The sound makes the music".

I am reading a lot through other peoples comments, and a more detailed comment is always appreciated, so I would like you not to give up on writing some more words than 95% of the usual suspects, maybe just work on your sound a bit.

Aside that, I am not sure if it's a good idea to seperate rating and comments...
Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
MrWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwârv View Post
First of : I am one of those raters, who try to give good reason for each rating, be it a top one or a low one. Only very few times I rated a movie 1 star all across the board, but I did rate quite a few movies with an average of lets say 2,5. I never got reported or deleted, only collected some "minus" clicks, all of them mostlikely by fanboys, who can't stand that their idol gets a less than 5 rating.

A good way to rise the survivability of your low rating is to present your critics in a positive way. I always keep in mind, that people did put work in the movie (well, most of them do) and just for this I give respect and try to encourage the people.

We have a proverb over here, that is best translated as : "The sound makes the music".

I am reading a lot through other peoples comments, and a more detailed comment is always appreciated, so I would like you not to give up on writing some more words than 95% of the usual suspects, maybe just work on your sound a bit.

Aside that, I am not sure if it's a good idea to seperate rating and comments...
Then you've either been lucky, or you havent expressed your honest opinion, or your standards are way too low, or you don't know enough on the subject to be disappointed at the content, or perhaps all of the above.

A more detailed comment is just more time wasted before it gets deleted if it has any real substance to it what so ever. Sound doesnt make any difference if the content is honest, because honest content gets censored if the truth turns out to be worse than what's permitted.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
MrWise

Permanently disabled my ability to rate videos for saying the word "shit".

Maybe I should move to North Korea, they might give me a bit more freedom to express myself without having to worry about the people in charge being complete nutcases over censorship.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Gedan

Tbh mrWise I can't see why our moderator reported that as a warning.. I'm sorry and will speak to the moderator in question
Old 07-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Gedan

I've compensated you with premium, I was wondering tho - Did you lose rating privileges right after that warning? from our database I can only see you having 1 warning and that shouldn't result in a ban.